Condensation in the skylight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi David,

If you have access to Eternabond tape, putting this over the cracks would be the best way of assuring no water gets in.

BTW, Grand Design issued TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) 22-004 (dated 11/21/2022) to all dealers, covering this issue.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks, I will let the service manager know about the TSB.
      I will get some Eternabond tape as well…. Took a look at the cost of that stuff…. I think i will stick with my silicone sealant and check it periodically.

I appreciate your help.
      Last edited by David_swnsn; 04-16-2023, 08:52 PM. Reason: On second thought…
      David & Lucie
      2023 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Platinum CC SB SRW

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
        David_swnsn There were a rash of rigs that we have seen recently with overtightened or sometimes the incorrect screws on those skylights. They go in too far and crack the skylight causing a leak. I think the skylight is actually two panes with an air gap, if the cover is cracked on the top then moisture could be stuck between the panes causing the fogging. Check the top of the skylight on the roof and see if it is cracked, if so contact Grand Design with your VIN number and they should be able to help you with a replacement. Short term you may be able to cover the cracks with Eternabond tape or self leveling sealant.
        YES, I have one. A 2023 Imagine MLE 22. I bought it in Feb 2023, hadn’t even taken it out. While doing other work on it, preparing for a trip, 2 1/2 weeks ago, I had to step inside due to rain. I hear something that sounded like running water. Water is POURING in through my skylight, 3 of four corners had huge cracks, 1/16 of an inch wide. I also noticed the skylight was ridiculously thin. Even slight pressure on the top would cave it in, it was like paper. Well, I didn’t have time to go through warranty since I was leaving in less than 3 weeks, so I ordered a replacement and installed myself. When I removed the lap sealant, EVERY SINGLE SCREW WAS OVERTIGHTENED! Every one. Cracks on every one, it came out in like 50 pieces. I was blown away with the poor quality. How could this have passed any QA at all? I previously had a Reflection Fifth Wheel that I was very happy with, but wanted to downsize. So far, I am disappointed with the quality on this one. I tried it upload photos, but I’m on a limited bandwidth at the moment and I could not make it work. I have plenty.

Comment

There are several threads here about folks replacing them on their own if you do a search. I am one of them. This has been a problem for longer than a year. our rig was delivered to us in 2020, August and we had the same problem.
          Bill & Cindy
          2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
          2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
          SE Texas

Comment

GD approved the skylight replacement. I have it scheduled to be replaced at my dealer this week… along with several other issues discovered during my first trip out. Looks like they tightened the screws too tight.

I inspect the roof every time I break camp. So far the RTV i put on the crack prior to going out seems to have held well.

Have a great day!
            David & Lucie
            2023 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Platinum CC SB SRW

Comment

RTV and Eternabond be a campers best friends.

Glad the temp fix is holding and GD is stepping up to replace it since it is a well documented issue.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
              X