Condensation in the skylight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Condensation in the skylight

I have brand new (not yet taken it out) 303RLS and I noticed while installing vent hoods that there was considerable condensation in the bathroom skylight. The rig has no water in it yet so I do not think it came from the shower. Is this normal?
    David & Lucie
    2023 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Platinum CC SB SRW

David_swnsn There were a rash of rigs that we have seen recently with overtightened or sometimes the incorrect screws on those skylights. They go in too far and crack the skylight causing a leak. I think the skylight is actually two panes with an air gap, if the cover is cracked on the top then moisture could be stuck between the panes causing the fogging. Check the top of the skylight on the roof and see if it is cracked, if so contact Grand Design with your VIN number and they should be able to help you with a replacement. Short term you may be able to cover the cracks with Eternabond tape or self leveling sealant.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
      David_swnsn There were a rash of rigs that we have seen recently with overtightened or sometimes the incorrect screws on those skylights. They go in too far and crack the skylight causing a leak. I think the skylight is actually two panes with an air gap, if the cover is cracked on the top then moisture could be stuck between the panes causing the fogging. Check the top of the skylight on the roof and see if it is cracked, if so contact Grand Design with your VIN number and they should be able to help you with a replacement. Short term you may be able to cover the cracks with Eternabond tape or self leveling sealant.
      Thanks, So it is a problem that I will need to address?… :-(
      David & Lucie
      2023 Reflection 303RLS

Comment

Originally posted by David_swnsn View Post

Thanks, So it is a problem that I will need to address?… :-(
        Yes. Absolutely. Like right now. Water is THE enemy of our rigs.

Super easy to do an inspection in the area for other damage--see https://gdrvowners.com/forum/interio...745#post109745

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The dealership replaced mine - both the skylight and the inside cover were also cracked. They did as I asked and took a ton of pictures to prove that it had not leaked inside to the roof. My concern/frustration was that it had been on the dealer lot 100 days so that probably meant that it had gotten soaked at least a dozen or two times and we also had a week in there of snow. The insulation in the attic was pretty pink and didn't show any signs of water damage. the wood around it also looked good. With having the dealer replace it before I took delivery, I'm hoping that any possible future problems up there won't be questioned. It was wet in the shower when I went and looked at it the first time and my sales guy said it was because they were in the process of de-winterizing it and I was like "um.. nope, I checked the forums" .. sure enough, it was cracked in 3 places.
          Jeff
          2017 F250 FX4, B&W Companion
          2023 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Thanks everyone, I have a scheduled appointment at the dealer on Friday. I will ask for confirmation that here was no internal damage. We have had some fairly hard rains since we took possession…
            David & Lucie
            2023 Reflection 303RLS

Comment

Please post your dealer findings. And if possible get some pictures of the skylight on the roof for reference here for others.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Brian:

Will do. I will get some pics on Friday . I should have seen this when I inspected it at delivery. :-(
                David & Lucie
                2023 Reflection 303RLS

Comment

David_swnsn
                  Hi David,

It is really easy to drop the interior trim ring and transparent cover (usually just four screws) so that you can confirm for yourself that the interior of the roof is dry . . . before taking this to your dealer. GD informed their dealers of this situation, several months ago. Your dealer had an obligation to check for this before delivery to you.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0891.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	110159
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                    David_swnsn
                    Hi David,

It is really easy to drop the interior trim ring and transparent cover (usually just four screws) so that you can confirm for yourself that the interior of the roof is dry . . . before taking this to your dealer. GD informed their dealers of this situation, several months ago. Your dealer had an obligation to check for this before delivery to you.

Rob

Name:	IMG_0891.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	110159
                    Thanks for the advice. I will work on that today or tomorrow.
                    David & Lucie
                    2023 Reflection 303RLS

Comment

Before heading home from Arizona this year I noticed a 6 inch crack in my skylight. I patched it with gorilla tape to get home but now I need to fix it properly and could use some advice. Can I reseal the crack with something like epoxy or should I replace the skylight? And is this an aftermarket part or OEM?

Bob
                      2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
                      2018 Reflection 295RL

Comment

Originally posted by bogen2 View Post
                        Before heading home from Arizona this year I noticed a 6 inch crack in my skylight. I patched it with gorilla tape to get home but now I need to fix it properly and could use some advice. Can I reseal the crack with something like epoxy or should I replace the skylight? And is this an aftermarket part or OEM?

Bob
                        Replace the skylight. There are a bunch of options, I think TucsonJim recently replaced his and tracked down an aftermarket version that seemed good quality. Here is a write up on his replacement:

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...ht-replacement

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                          David_swnsn
                          Hi David,

Rob
                          Went out to the rig today and took some pics. Yes, there is a crack in the dome in the rear on the driver’s side. There is some minor water damage to the wood in the same corner but nothing too dramatic to worry too much about.

Name:	IMG_0188.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	110189 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0199.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	110190 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0197.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	110187 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0196.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	110191 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0192.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	110188

Much relieved.
                          David & Lucie
                          2023 Reflection 303RLS

Comment

Glad the damage is not too bad. Hopefully your dealer can get it changed out quick. If they are going to have it for any length of time I would throw some eternabond tape or sealant over it.

Neil Citro

Comment

Update:

The dealer (nor GD) did not have any skylight domes. There was one in Texas but could not get it here in time before my next adventure (the first one in this rig :-). So, with the dealer’s permission I cleaned the surface and used some silicone sealant to seal it up until they can get one in (and I get back).

Also, with the dealer’s permission, I removed the interior bezel and wiped out the excess moisture… and left it off to dry out.

They submitted a request for a warranty. Should be not a problem.

By the way, the dealer said that they did not have any technical service bulletins on this issue (or that they could not find one).

Have a great day!
                              Last edited by David_swnsn; 04-16-2023, 11:34 AM. Reason: Typos (of course)
                              David & Lucie
                              2023 Reflection 303RLS

Comment

Working...
                              X