Attaching Floor Joists to Chassis Cross Members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attaching Floor Joists to Chassis Cross Members

I have a 2018 Reflection 337RLS. I have the underbelly off to install tank heaters, better insulation around the tanks, seal up rodent pathways, and clean up rust. I noticed the floor joists aren't fastened to the cross members. I was thinking of driving some self-tapping screws into them at every point where they intersect (at least the ones I can get at). I'm also thinking about fastening the last cross member to the rear wall. There seems to be a bit of movement between the rear wall and floor. The screws in the small angle trim behind the couch have been popping out since this trailer was new. I know there is some flex in the steel chassis and aluminum framing in the walls and floor, so I'm not sure these additional fasteners won't cause problems.

Has anyone done this before?

I'm also seeing what I think is too much flex up front, but I'll post that where it's already been discussed.

Thanks,

Steve

Originally posted by SBrown View Post
    I noticed the floor joists aren't fastened to the cross members.
    Steve -- I'm having difficulty visualizing what's being referenced. Can you take a few pictures and post them?

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

A couple of photos below. I drove some screws through the top of the cross member into the joists. You can feet them through the moisture barrier. This model has fiberglass insulation between the joists, so it's easy to find them. I'm thinking of fastening the last cross member to the framing in the rear wall, as well as the joists.

Comment

Originally posted by SBrown View Post
        A couple of photos below. I drove some screws through the top of the cross member into the joists. You can feet them through the moisture barrier. This model has fiberglass insulation between the joists, so it's easy to find them. I'm thinking of fastening the last cross member to the framing in the rear wall, as well as the joists.
        The plywood floor is above the crossbeams. I suspect (don't know for sure) that not securing the plywood on top allows for some movement and flex while towing. To my knowledge none of the GDRVs have these crossbeams secured to the floor, but could be wrong.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Steve you have a serious issue with your rear wall. It will eventually damage the side walls and exterior trim as as well. This issue is known to GD. Contact customer service and ask to speak with Kyle, he is familiar with the issue. They have a fix for it and printed instructions. They will probably offer to pay for the repair. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by JimB View Post
            Steve you have a serious issue with your rear wall. It will eventually damage the side walls and exterior trim as as well. This issue is known to GD. Contact customer service and ask to speak with Kyle, he is familiar with the issue. They have a fix for it and printed instructions. They will probably offer to pay for the repair. Good luck.
            How did you come to that conclusion? What, exactly, is the "serious issue with your rear wall"? I can't connect the OP to your response.

Not saying you're wrong, I just don't understand so asking for more information to provide clarity.

Comment

"There seems to be a bit of movement between the rear wall and floor. The screws in the small angle trim behind the couch have been popping out since this trailer was new." Been there done that. The rear wall is not attached to the chassis/floor and is coming off. My trailer is a Reflection but seems to be more common problem on Solitudes. Better attend to it now before it gets worse. Suggest removing sheet metal trim at lower rear of side walls and examining the wall frame welds and screws attaching side wall to floor. Fix is not hard but needs to be done if there is a problem in these areas.

Comment

Working...
              X