Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front cap separating from sidewall

Hi,

Well, we uncovered a big problem when we were washing our rig last night and I was hoping for some advice from some with more knowledge and experience than I please. We have a 2021 2400BH and found that the passenger sidewall is separating from the front cap at the top of the trailer (about where the spout starts) and down to the front (pics attached). I do not know how long it has been like this as I didn't see it had separated when I first went over the trailer when I de-winterized, but guaranteed water has gotten in there and it isn't good.

Earliest anyone may be able to even look at it would be August, so my question is how to I patch this up now and is it something that would prohibit using the trailer? I was originally thinking of taping with some EternaBond as I would presume that it would at least stick. I also had considered caulking it, but I'm not overly certain if that is the right play. Further could continued driving and use cause it to separate more? We are in Colorado and travel is not always paved. I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions anyone may have. Thank you.

Ken

Attached Files
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2019 Ram 2500 Gasser

Dang Ken - Sorry to hear that. Before attempting to fix, let's see if any water has gotten in the wall and done any damage to the fiberglass via delamination.

Physically examine the wall by sighting down the side from several different angles. You're looking for obvious bulges, valleys, ripples, etc. Don't worry if you see one that is perfectly vertical and evenly spaced along the length of the wall. That would be a manufacturing line.

Exactly how many months old is your unit? The structural warranty is 36 months. This looks like a defect that is covered by the warranty if still within the time frame.

I would not add any tapes or sealants at this time. Silicone caulk and tape residue can be brutal to remove if needed for the repair. If you anticipate any rain, I'd cover that section with a tarp until GDRV provides guidance on how to proceed.

My suggestion is to send your photos to GDRV customer service along with the VIN and date of purchase. Ask them for guidance on how to approach it and let them know your dealer can't get to it until August. They may have suggestions on how to get it repaired quicker. Their email is:

customerservice@granddesignrv.com

JIm
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thank you very much. It was not what I wanted to see for sure.

I don't see bulges, ripples, etc. in the fiberglass. In addition though, I did line the leveler along the edge and it really shows how disformed it is.

We took delivery in May 2021, so I will contact GDRV and see what they say.

I really appreciate the information, thank you.
      Attached Files
      2019 Ram 2500 Gasser

Comment

So the part that you have your level on actually has a plastic insert in the front of it that covers the screws used to retain the trim part that covers the joint between the cap and the side wall. It is possible that the screws used to retain this part were not installed, or stripped out at assembly. Not sure how far you want to get involved in this but I do not think that it is a front cap issue just the trim along the edge.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by k0ls0n View Post
          Thank you very much. It was not what I wanted to see for sure.

I don't see bulges, ripples, etc. in the fiberglass. In addition though, I did line the leveler along the edge and it really shows how disformed it is.

We took delivery in May 2021, so I will contact GDRV and see what they say.

I really appreciate the information, thank you.
          From the photos it looks like something contacted the metal trim piece pushing it in (where your level is) and popping it out higher up. What does the other side look like? Any damage/separation where the cap meets the roof?

Mike
          Mike & Sonya
          2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
          Blue Ox SwayPro
          2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Originally posted by NoPeeking View Post

From the photos it looks like something contacted the metal trim piece pushing it in (where your level is) and popping it out higher up. What does the other side look like? Any damage/separation where the cap meets the roof?

Mike
            It does look bent to me as well, but there aren't any scratches or any other indicator that it was hit. I do know I haven't run into anything and the other side is perfectly flat. Yes, the separation starts at the roof at about the spout and comes down the front of the cap.
            2019 Ram 2500 Gasser

Comment

Working...
            X