Emergency Window Twicked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency Window Twicked

After a completely successful trip to the Eastern Sierras, on our last leg home the forward emergency exit window was not latched properly and was not noticed until after a few miles at highway speeds.

It appears that the forward edge of the hinge has slightly bent. The window will close and latch but you can see in photo it is gapped.

dealer is researching, does not inspire confidence. Other mobile guys we have used did not know how to fix, others only replace glass.

can I just replace hinge? Outer frame does not appear bent so I don’t want to remove entire unit. Any suggestions?

Not having "eyes on" I would think you could probably bend this back in to place. If not there is a sticker on the window with Lippert name and a RPO number, with that info you could contact Lippert and see about a whole new window. These are pretty easy to change out.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I'd remove the window by removing the hinge screws and sliding it out of the frame. You should be able to push the safety latch all the way out of the frame so it's not in the way. Then I'd use a block of wood to pound the hinge back into place.

This looks like a rather easy job actually.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks for replies. Sounds encouraging. Leaving on next trip in a week so I may wait to getting back before attempting repair. Don’t want to make it worse by damaging it further

Comment

Before you start pounding on the frame, try grabbing it with a pair of smooth jaw pliers and rolling it back down into position. Verify that the windows gap is different across the bottom from one side to the other before proceeding as either method may change the position of the hinge relative to the bottom of the frame.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
          X