Seal stove exhaust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seal stove exhaust?

We just had a downpour for about an hour (yay). Happened to have the camper home to prep for a trip. Noticed a puddle of water on the counter after the rain stopped. I think the stove exhaust vent caulk has let loose. How do I remove the outer shield to caulk it, and what sealant should I be using?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4543.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	115109
    Attached Files
    Tim H.
    2022 Imagine XLS 23BHE
    2019 Ford F250 Platinum 6.7L Diesel
    Formerly: 2016 Ford F150 Lariat Super Crew, FX4, 3.5L EB, 6-1/2' bed
    Formerly: 2019 Keystone Passport 175BH

Could be caulk, but is your flap latched closed? Theoretically, it can leak in wind-blown rain or while on the road if it isn’t dogged.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Yes, the flap is latched closed. It looks like there’s a gap on the top where it should be sealed.
      Tim H.
      2022 Imagine XLS 23BHE

Comment

The outer cover just pops off, but you will need to cut the existing sealant free. Be careful though the clips brake easily. This thread might help https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...oes-yours-open
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
          The outer cover just pops off, but you will need to cut the existing sealant free. Be careful though the clips brake easily. This thread might help https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...oes-yours-open
          Thanks, that helps a lot!
          Tim H.
          2022 Imagine XLS 23BHE

Comment

I had to pull the one on our previous unit. As mentioned the outer pops on. I do suggest you forgo the foam tape and go to butyl tape at least around the perimeter. Then you will not need to caulk it. If you do caulk it, hold off for a week or so and let the butyl do it's job of conforming, then trim away the excess with a plastic knife and clean the area with some type of solvent (be careful around the butyl) then apply caulk.

If you do go the butyl route and have never used it, you will understand not needing the caulk afterwards.

Just remembered, fishing line or some type of fine string can be your best friend for getting those types of things off can be a pain with the back having copious amounts of double stick tape.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Also check the roof or any area above the puddle on the counter. Water can travel many directions and the leak may not be the exhaust vent, just to be sure.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Given how big the gap was in the sealant, I’m pretty confident that’s where it came in. I pulled the outer cover, cleaned it up and used some silicone sealant on the vent, then put the cover back on and sealed that too. I hadn’t thought about butyl tape, but if I have issues, I can take it apart again and add some.

Thanks for the pointers, especially seeing how the cover latches on.
                Tim H.
                2022 Imagine XLS 23BHE

Comment

Have a look at the location and integrity of the awning rail butt joint. This is a spot notorious for focussing a stream of water down the sidewall, if not sealed appropriately. Mine leaked and resulted in water intrusion at the furnace exhaust panel (which was not sealed at the factory).

Mike
                  Mike & Sonya
                  2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
                  Blue Ox SwayPro
                  2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Working...
                  X