Roof membrane/covering has bubbles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof membrane/covering has bubbles

While up on a ladder installing a backup camera, I noticed quite a bit of bubbling with the roof membrane. I've never had this happen on any of our other RVs but I'm guessing it can't be good. When you push on the membrane you can tell that it's no longer attached to the roof structure. It is happening primarily along the back and sides but you can see by the attached photos that there are also spots popping up on the interior portion of the roof. When we picked it up from the dealership one week ago I inspected the roof and this was not visible then. Is anyone familiar with this and what the next steps should be in getting it repaired? Also, can something like this even be repaired or should the entire roof membrane be replaced?
    Jon & Sally
    (along with our pups - Heidi, Hans, and Hannah)

2022 GMC Denali Duramax 3500 DRW
    2023 Imagine 2970 RL​

Although this does not look good it seems to be typical. Ours was very similar and it has layed down in most places with in the first year. I would get it documented with your dealer and keep an eye on it.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      Although this does not look good it seems to be typical. Ours was very similar and it has layed down in most places with in the first year. I would get it documented with your dealer and keep an eye on it.

Brian
      If the adhesive that they attached the membrane to the decking has already failed, how would it reattach or lay down as time goes on? As we travel down the highway it seems that the wind buffeting the roof area would continue to work even more of it loose. As I mentioned, this was not there a week ago when we picked up the coach from the dealership, so in the thousand-plus miles we've driven since then it has popped up. I'm guessing that the wind and flexing of the trailer while driving has now made it noticeable that there was a adhesion failure. I have already reached out to the dealership but should I also contact Grand Design directly?
      Jon & Sally

2023 Imagine 2970 RL​

Comment

You sure can contact GD and let them decide what the next step is.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I spoke to my dealer today and they are going to have to contact G.D. directly to get authorization for repairs. They said that they could do the repairs at their shop, or it could be done at Grand Design or any G.D. dealership. They said that this is an Alpha roof membrane from Lippert and that they are replacing about six or seven roofs per week at the dealership where we bought it. They said it's not just a Grand Design issue but it's impacting all the various brands that are using Alpha roofs. They said that they are allocated 40 hours under warranty to replace the roof and that it takes a good seven days from start to finish. She said that Lippert uses their own adhesive for the Alpha roof system and that is what the issue is - the roofing membrane is really good but they obviously have issues with the adhesive material. https://alphallc.us/products/roofing/. https://store.lci1.com/alpha-systems
          Jon & Sally

2023 Imagine 2970 RL​

Comment

Originally posted by JLA956 View Post
            I spoke to my dealer today and they are going to have to contact G.D. directly to get authorization for repairs. They said that they could do the repairs at their shop, or it could be done at Grand Design or any G.D. dealership. They said that this is an Alpha roof membrane from Lippert and that they are replacing about six or seven roofs per week at the dealership where we bought it. They said it's not just a Grand Design issue but it's impacting all the various brands that are using Alpha roofs. They said that they are allocated 40 hours under warranty to replace the roof and that it takes a good seven days from start to finish. She said that Lippert uses their own adhesive for the Alpha roof system and that is what the issue is - the roofing membrane is really good but they obviously have issues with the adhesive material. https://alphallc.us/products/roofing/. https://store.lci1.com/alpha-systems
            Thanks for the update. It is good to hear that your dealer is taking care of this issue, not good that the issue with the roofing adhesive is that common. Hopefully Lippert and GD will get you fixed up and back to camping.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

JLA956
              Did GD cover membrane replacement 100%? I am currently fighting the same. Our rig the bubble happened on the front end during a 7hr drive. The bubble apparently got so large that the membrane rubbed some metal on the AC unit. In doing so caused a cut and now GD is saying it’s not their problem. Dealership is going to try their hand at submitting a warranty claim this week.

Country Campers any ideas helping with the GD customer service.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew.yeoman3 View Post
                JLA956
                Did GD cover membrane replacement 100%? I am currently fighting the same. Our rig the bubble happened on the front end during a 7hr drive. The bubble apparently got so large that the membrane rubbed some metal on the AC unit. In doing so caused a cut and now GD is saying it’s not their problem. Dealership is going to try their hand at submitting a warranty claim this week.

That's a real shame. What year is your rig Matthew?

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew.yeoman3 View Post
                  JLA956

The only suggestion that I can make as far as dealing with GD Customer Service is to be persistent and patient, and of course nice. I would always suggest getting the dealer involved before trying Customer Service.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

TucsonJim 2022 model purchased in December 2021

Country Campers that is how I understand it, the service rep was not really helpful at all. I had contacted the dealer first then sent the email to GD I probably should have waited.

Comment

We did our walk thru/learned all about our new 2023 324mbs and at the very end requested to see the roof. As we knew, that is the responsible thing to do. Well this is what we found (see the picture). I really wish we hadn't signed the papers. This needs to be fixed. You can see the new unit behind ours is not like this one at all.

Comment

Hello,
                        We have a brand new 23LDE with large bubbles close to the front cap and on the sides. A dealer and RVTravel.com is recommending a deeper inspection then replacing with glue. Grand design recommending stretching the material and reseal. I am trying to escalate the conflicts. Not sure if I should pay for an RVIA inspector to get a 3rd independent opinion. Our Solar panel is warped and not sure if that is normal or can be readjusted.​
                        Attached Files

Comment

perecarl -- if GD's input is not followed, doesn't that mean you'll end up footing the bill? I doubt GD will pay for repairs that they didn't recommend nor approve. (Remember, I'm just an owner like yourself.) If your dealer doesn't agree with GD repair disposition, that's on the dealer to go back and argue with the OEM (my opinion).

With the bubbles close to the edges, once the front cap and side rails are removed (relatively easy for a shop to do) I also don't see why the techs can't lift up the roof material prior to stretching and add glue where it didn't adhere the first time.

Again...just my opinion. I'm familiar with the process but haven't actually done the work myself.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by perecarl View Post
                            Hello,
                            We have a brand new 23LDE with large bubbles close to the front cap and on the sides. A dealer and RVTravel.com is recommending a deeper inspection then replacing with glue. Grand design recommending stretching the material and reseal. I am trying to escalate the conflicts. Not sure if I should pay for an RVIA inspector to get a 3rd independent opinion. Our Solar panel is warped and not sure if that is normal or can be readjusted.​
                            perecarl Before you start digging in your pocket to pay for inspections, have that conversation with GD. Like Brian said in an earlier post in this thread, be persistent and patient. I have logged over two dozen calls with GD, and they have paid for two estimates/inspections. Back in October, they paid the selling dealer to pull back the front of my roof and re-glue with a second transition strip. That went sideways when they damaged the membrane causing a water leak.

Just today, GD approved 36 hours of labor to do a full roof replacement. Since my 5th wheel is now at a different dealership (not the one I purchased from) they are not willing to negotiate with GD, and won’t do it for less than 42 hours of labor which means I have to come up with nearly $1,300 out of pocket. I should note that GD has denied this claim on four separate occasions, so in the end, $1,300 to finally be able to use my rig again doesn’t seem so bad.

In the past 5 months, here is what I have learned about these roof issues. 1) Pulling a membrane up and re-gluing it is a temporary fix at best. The glue failed and someone needs to figure out why. 2) This is not just a GD issue. 3) Every non-dealer inspector and/or service rep that I have spoken to has told me that any ripples or bubbles are always a sign of failure, and the only real fix is to completely remove and replace. 4) All five GD dealers that I have contacted have told me that ripples and bubbles are completely normal on these types of roofs. The service manager at the dealership that currently has possession of my rig actually challenged me to climb up every new trailer on their huge lot and find one that doesn’t have ripples.

What is the actual truth? I have no idea. All I can say is don’t stop trying the first time someone denies your claim. Patients and persistence might eventually get it fixed.
                            2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
                            2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder​
                            YouTube Chanel

Comment

Purchased a 25bhe on 12-30-23, first trip on 1-26-24. Noticed a water leak around the shower skylight. May have leaked the entire year it sat at the dealers lot. The membrane has ripples on several areas. Dealer can not get us in until 2-26-24.
                              Rob
                              2023 Imagine 25bhe
                              2024 Chevy 2500 6.6 gas
                              Hoiston,TX

Comment

Working...
                              X