Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LIppert Tongue Jack Disassembly - replacing grease in gearbox

Part 1

The day after Christmas 2022, we went to the storage shed to hook up our trailer. The temperatures had been between -10F and -20F the entire week prior. The tongue jack just barely was able to do the job, grinding along at an extremely slow rate, despite a lithium battery that was kept warm at home. As the grease began to warm slightly from all the shear energy being put into it, it started to run a bit faster. I was not able to manually turn the jack screw in any meaningful amount.

I recently took it apart and replaced the gearbox grease with Dow Corning 33 Lightweight grease, which has a very wide temperature range. I did not know if it was the gearbox or the actual jack screw, but I suspected the gear box, since things are moving much faster there.

I removed the three screws which attach the unit to the tongue, noting that one of the screws was extremely difficult to back out. I suspected it was galled or something.

First I removed the top cover. I removed the rubber cap over the manual actuation hex, removed the two screws in there as well as 4 screws coming in from the bottom. Remove also the screw holding the ground wire to the gearbox. Remove the large manual drive hex, I believe there was one set screw. There are 5 screws holding the housing bottom to the gearbox, which are accessed through the slots in the gearbox cover. The lower housing can then be slid down a bit out of the way. Then remove the two bolts holding the gearbox housing to the jackscrew tube. The tube can then be slid out of the gearbox housing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	TJ27.jpg Views:	1 Size:	153.6 KB ID:	115535
    Click image for larger version  Name:	TJ29.jpg Views:	1 Size:	139.8 KB ID:	115536

Click image for larger version  Name:	TJ2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	45.9 KB ID:	115538

Click image for larger version  Name:	TJ28.jpg Views:	1 Size:	117.7 KB ID:	115539

Click image for larger version  Name:	TJ24.jpg Views:	1 Size:	83.6 KB ID:	115540
    Attached Files
    Last edited by AlexPeterson; 07-03-2023, 02:26 PM.
    Ottertail, Minnesota
    2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
    2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Part 2

There is an inconvenient cotter pin retaining a pin which in turn holds the shaft coupler onto the jack screw. Once this pin is out, the jack screw can be pulled out. Use caution as there are two thrust washers involved which might fall out of position. Just be sure when you reinsert the jack screw into the housing tube that the thrust washers are in position. I chose not to re-grease the jack screw, as it had a nice film of grease, and given the slow speed of it, I didn’t think that was the main cold weather problem.

I removed the gearbox cover next, exposing the gear train and thick black grease.

Click image for larger version  Name:	TJ7.jpg Views:	2 Size:	45.9 KB ID:	115542

Click image for larger version  Name:	TJ14.jpg Views:	2 Size:	45.5 KB ID:	115543

Click image for larger version  Name:	TJ15.jpg Views:	2 Size:	88.6 KB ID:	115544

Click image for larger version  Name:	TJ3.jpg Views:	2 Size:	77.9 KB ID:	115545

Click image for larger version  Name:	TJ10.jpg Views:	2 Size:	107.0 KB ID:	115546
    Last edited by AlexPeterson; 07-03-2023, 02:25 PM.
    Ottertail, Minnesota

Comment

Part 3

I removed the motor and cleaned the old grease off using some parts washer solvent. I applied Dow Corning 33 Light consistency grease to all the parts of the gearbox. Be sure to keep track of what goes where!

Click image for larger version  Name:	TJ9.jpg Views:	2 Size:	104.3 KB ID:	115548

Click image for larger version  Name:	TJ11.jpg Views:	2 Size:	87.1 KB ID:	115549

Click image for larger version  Name:	TJ12.jpg Views:	2 Size:	69.1 KB ID:	115550

Click image for larger version  Name:	TJ13.jpg Views:	2 Size:	119.0 KB ID:	115551

Click image for larger version  Name:	grease.jpg Views:	2 Size:	85.3 KB ID:	115552
      Last edited by AlexPeterson; 07-03-2023, 02:26 PM.
      Ottertail, Minnesota

Comment

Part 4

I packed in plenty of grease and reinstalled the motor and the cover. Note one shaft has a flat which must be aligned with the cover. Reinstall the manual drive hex.

Click image for larger version  Name:	TJ21.jpg Views:	2 Size:	128.7 KB ID:	115554

Click image for larger version  Name:	TJ22.jpg Views:	2 Size:	94.3 KB ID:	115555

Click image for larger version  Name:	TJ23.jpg Views:	2 Size:	94.8 KB ID:	115556

Click image for larger version  Name:	TJ26.jpg Views:	2 Size:	77.4 KB ID:	115557

Reassembly is simply reversing the steps used to disassemble. Again, when putting the jack screw back in the housing tube, be sure that there is a thrust bearing/washer properly in position both up inside the tube and on the side where the pin/cotter pin will be.

I did have to run a tap through the tongue hole that was galled or somehow problematic.

Click image for larger version  Name:	TJ30.jpg Views:	2 Size:	55.7 KB ID:	115558

Ottertail, Minnesota

Comment

Alex - thanks so much for posting this. This confirms that I don't want to try disassembly in the field.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
            Alex - thanks so much for posting this. This confirms that I don't want to try disassembly in the field.

Jim
            Right.....may be easier to buy a new tongue jack
            Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

I do like my Amsoil grease as it tends to stick around. https://www.amsoil.com/p/synthetic-p...-nlgi-1-gptr1/ I suggest the #1 or a #0 if you stay in areas with lower temperatures. #0 grease will become liquid ish above some temp.

You might be able to find an Arctic grease (I do suggest a full synthetic) in your area easier.

Don't know the retailer, but I have heard of this brand and they are extremely reputable https://zzdiesel.com/products/schaef...RoCiJEQAvD_BwE
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post

Right.....may be easier to buy a new tongue jack
                That's my plan. We won't be home where I have access to all my tools for a couple of months. A new jack is $200.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                  I do like my Amsoil grease as it tends to stick around. https://www.amsoil.com/p/synthetic-p...-nlgi-1-gptr1/ I suggest the #1 or a #0 if you stay in areas with lower temperatures. #0 grease will become liquid ish above some temp.

You might be able to find an Arctic grease (I do suggest a full synthetic) in your area easier.

Don't know the retailer, but I have heard of this brand and they are extremely reputable https://zzdiesel.com/products/schaef...RoCiJEQAvD_BwE
                  The grease I posted has service temperature from -100F to 400F. Should cover most camping or storage situations...
                  Ottertail, Minnesota

Comment

Working...
                  X