Skylight leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skylight leaking

Well, the skylight on my 2023 Imagine 2970RL is leaking. The family is 7 hours away camping in it until I'm back there on Tuesday. Called the dealer and said I'd look at it once I'm there and make any temporary fixes and they'll look ta it once I bring it home.

This is in addition to a leaking shower base and having the shower cold and hot pipes reversed. The bathroom fan also is noisy. The whole bathroom has been a disaster and I'm extremely disappointed with that. The rest of the trailer has been great but I'm not sure what was going on in that bathroom area.
    2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
    2023 F-350 SRW 7.3 Crew Cab

The leaking skylight could be that the screws holding the outer clear cover on were over tightened or the wrong screws were installed, tapered head instead of flat head, both of these have been reported in the past. You can either use some eternabond tape or some self leveling roof sealant, gorilla tape can also be used if on the plastic not sure if it will hold on the sealant.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      The leaking skylight could be that the screws holding the outer clear cover on were over tightened or the wrong screws were installed, tapered head instead of flat head, both of these have been reported in the past. You can either use some eternabond tape or some self leveling roof sealant, gorilla tape can also be used if on the plastic not sure if it will hold on the sealant.

Brian
      I'm going to take some gorilla tape up there. I notice the little finishing nails around that area inside the bathroom are rusting and I'm now wondering how much damage there actually is. I'll remove the inner flange when I'm there and take a look but I'm sort of scared to see it now.

Comment

Gorilla tape or flex seal tape. I'd go for flex seal tape over gorilla (never used flex seal but have seen the way it lays). Flex seal also will seal to wet items over other types of tape.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
          Gorilla tape or flex seal tape. I'd go for flex seal tape over gorilla (never used flex seal but have seen the way it lays). Flex seal also will seal to wet items over other types of tape.
          Went and grabbed some flex seal tape as well so I should be able to stop the leak until it's fixed. We have a lot of camping booked this summer so I don't want it sitting at a dealer waiting to get fixed. They have a mobile repair truck that they'll be sending out to look at it in the next couple of weeks so I guess we'll see what they say.

Comment

Start at the bottom and work up, just like roofing. That's about the only suggestion I can give. If you see a crack, drill a small hole at the end of it try and stop it from spreading taping it does not stop it.
            Joseph
            Tow
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Start at the bottom and work up, just like roofing. That's about the only suggestion I can give. If you see a crack, drill a small hole at the end of it try and stop it from spreading taping it does not stop it.
              Does the flange on the inside have any structural purpose or is it just there to clean up the hole? Will it simply drop down when I remove the screws from the inside?

I've never removed the inside flange on a skylight in a trailer before.

Comment

Originally posted by pappcam View Post

Does the flange on the inside have any structural purpose or is it just there to clean up the hole? Will it simply drop down when I remove the screws from the inside?

I've never removed the inside flange on a skylight in a trailer before.
                The flange is a finish, nothing structural about it. I really don't understand why this known problem persists. I replaced my own on my 2021 model. Tape only slowed water down but didn't completely stop it. https://billmorris.smugmug.com/Priva...repair-photos/
                Bill & Cindy
                2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
                2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                SE Texas

Comment

BillinTexasBill OP is trying to stop leak until he can either fix or get fixed the leak.

As stated interior plastic ring is separate from outside and hides the ugly of the roof area.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Jlawles2, I understand. Unfortunately, depending on the severity of the cracking, the methods mentioned may or may not work. I had Gorilla tape, Eternabond, and self-leveling with me on the trip I discovered ours and it still leaked. My link was to show the severity and not how to fix it. The severity was only discovered in full when I began the replacement process.
                    Bill & Cindy
                    2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
                    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                    SE Texas

Comment

Well, I made it back to the trailer and 3 of the corners had cracks. Grand Design should be ashamed.

Anyway, I layered some clear flex seal tape over the cracks and partially up the corners. I then sprayed some flex seal spray over this work to catch any sort of tiny gaps although I never saw any. Hopefully this fixes it until I can get it looked at by the dealer.

Terrible workmanship by the factory. Just pathetic.

Comment

You should make it a priority to get the skylight looked at immediately. Water intrusion can quickly do serious damage to your walls and soak the inside flooring causing soft spots.

I have a 323BHS and we've not been able to use it the last year after a number of surgeries for my wife. My fifth wheel is in storage 240 miles from home at a campground. I couldn;t clean or do my yearly roof inspection.

A leaking skylight in the bathroom has rotted the roof in a 4x4 foot section, and water is pouring down the inside wall. There's a 4 foot by 6 foot soft spot in front of my kitchen slide. Closer look at the roof indicates there are other soft spots--like in one side of the ladder support.

I'm looking at a full roof tear out and replacement. I anticipate having other rotted wood under the roof.

Worst part is that I gave my tow vehicle to my grandson and he wrecked it. I have no way to haul the trailer home where I can deal with it.

Comment

That's terrible news, Bamaman, and I hope your wife is on her way to a full recovery.

On two occasions, I have met other RVers who have paid a service to move their trailer. One was a couple who only moved their trailer twice a year and felt this was cheaper than owning a TV. No idea of the availability or cost of a tow service where you are. Just wanted to throw it out as an option.
                          John
                          2018 Momentum 395M
                          2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                          Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

I think you have that backwards. Gorilla is much better.
                            USN Engineer Retired
                            2020 RAM 2500 CC 6.7 Cummins
                            2022 GD Reflection 315RLTS

Comment

OP here. Drove my trailer home and it rained for an hour of it and there were no leaks on the skylight. Looks like my flex seal tape and spray did the trick temporarily. Now I need to get it permanently fixed once I get it to the dealer.

Comment

Working...
                              X