No announcement yet.

Skylight leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer is going into the dealer tomorrow and the skylight is getting replaced. They don't seem to be surprised that it was cracked in 3 corners and he kind of chuckled when I asked if they keep them in stock. I assume this is quite the common experience.

It actually doesn't look too complicated except for the tedious sealant removal.
    2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
    2023 F-350 SRW 7.3 Crew Cab

Comment

We had the same issues on both of the skylights on our Transcend. Both had to be replaced. Looks like a pretty common issue, likely caused by a bad vendor. I just hope the new ones hold up better than the old ones (Bought new in late Jan, leaking badly by April). In our case there were also no screws holding the skylights in at all, only sealant. In April, our dealer (LazyDayz) had told us we could bring it in and they might be able to look at it by July, so we ended up having to go another route.

Comment

ErichK It's not the vendor, it's incorrect hardware used during installation. The installer in the factory is using tapered head screws which act like a wedge splitting the skylight over time vs using flat under head screws to distribute the load.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
          ErichK It's not the vendor, it's incorrect hardware used during installation. The installer in the factory is using tapered head screws which act like a wedge splitting the skylight over time vs using flat under head screws to distribute the load.
          I think it's a combination of that and inexperienced workers over tightening the screws.
          2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
          2023 F-350 SRW 7.3 Crew Cab

Comment

Mine had no screws, zero, nada, none, holding it down, just sealant, so in my case it could not have been because they used tapered head screws. It split at almost all of the corners where the molded plexi curves, not anywhere near the mounting. This was on both of the skylights

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post

Comment

Originally posted by ErichK View Post
              Mine had no screws, zero, nada, none, holding it down, just sealant, so in my case it could not have been because they used tapered head screws. It split at almost all of the corners where the molded plexi curves, not anywhere near the mounting. This was on both of the skylights
              Was there any evidence a screw had been installed at some point? I wouldn't be surprised if the screws were removed (after the skylight was cracked at the corners by the installer) and then they used sealant to cover the mistake.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
              2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Was there any evidence a screw had been installed at some point? I wouldn't be surprised if the screws were removed (after the skylight was cracked at the corners by the installer) and then they used sealant to cover the mistake.
                No screws to be found, or evidence of old ones when they were replaced. If you look at the 2nd picture in my post, you can see how they all looked under the sealant. When it was pulled off by the tech, nothing was there, no screws at all or holes on either, just self-leveling sealant pushed into the holes and the black adhesive type stuff underneath. I had to wonder if they were trying to save time or limit the chances of cracking at the screw holes by using sealant and adhesive rather than screws.

I've had RVs for years, from class A's and class C's to travel trailers (this is my third brand new TT purchase) and I've never seen anything like it. Since the trailer has hardly traveled or moved (transport to the dealer, then 50 miles to our property where it has sat still since), I have a hard time beleiving that both skylights cracking at the exact same places, all at the corners in where the acrylic is formed, is not a manufacturing issue. I would hazard to guess, based on my history working with/laser cutting sheet acrylic, that the forming somehow ended up a bit thin there, then thermal expansion/contraction (I am in Florida after all) caused the thinner/misformed areas to crack. Stuff happens sometimes in manufacturing.

Comment

My skylight had screws all over....some even landed in the holes intended for the screws. The factory skylight is cheap and brittle. After mine exploded from hitting a low branch while driving through Shenendoah, during a torrential downpour, I replaced it with a much bettr skylight.

I now carry a caulking gun and eterna bond with me on every trip. One thing about this lifestyle is that you will be doing field repairs.
                  Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Working...
                  X