17MKE Rear Bumper Receiver Mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17MKE Rear Bumper Receiver Mount

We've been a happy GD owner for years. Has anyone used a bolt on 2" receiver mount on a 17MKE rear 4" square bumper (or similar model) for a spare tire mount or cargo carrier and what was your experience? Was the rear bumper up to the task??? Which one did you use and like-dislike?

We are cyclists and carry bikes on a bed rail cross bar rack system on the truck for our trips; but would also like to bring our 50lb 1up bike rack along. We have an upcoming week trip and have 5-6 day trips planned and I'm not excited about lifting 30lb MTBs onto the bed rail rack of a lifted truck with a tonneau cover every day to ride different areas and hope we can figure our how to take the platform rack along. Plus it'd give us a very secure place to lock the bikes at night.

We've heard the horror stories of bikes flying off and want to use the mount strictly for the transporting the empty rack which is about the same weight as a spare tire and tire mount would be. I've looked at it and compared it to a few others and it seems at least as well mounted as ones that carry the spare out back. I have the Curt, Towpro and a few others in hand but don't want to attempt to mount any of them until I know the bumper itself is up to the task...

Any other options or suggestions? I've been looking for a tongue A-Frame mount but haven't had much success and it'd make storing the bikes a challenge for the few days we want to leave them behind.

Thanks for any input!
    Last edited by dezpeep; 07-24-2023, 05:58 PM.

Stick with carrying bikes in the truck.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Many years ago, GDRV responded to a request regarding mounting bike racks, etc to the bumper. At that time, they said to never place more than 95 pounds on the bumper. As long as the bumper supports and materials haven't changed since then, I think you could mount the 50# empty rack on the bumper. Just keep an eye out for any sign of metal bending or fatigue.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
        Stick with carrying bikes in the truck.
        John - I read it as just wanting to carry the empty rack on the back of the trailer until they get to their destination. Once there, the rack will be transferred to the tow vehicle and used for locally transporting the bikes.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

John - I read it as just wanting to carry the empty rack on the back of the trailer until they get to their destination. Once there, the rack will be transferred to the tow vehicle and used for locally transporting the bikes.

Jim

Correct, only to transport the empty rack folded up. I wouldn't trust that bumper or a bolt on hitch to carry bikes considering the leverage and twist a weighted-extended rack would create.

Hoping someone on the forum has carried a rack or spare off the bumper for some 1st hand input?

Comment

Originally posted by dezpeep View Post
            Hoping someone on the forum has carried a rack or spare off the bumper for some 1st hand input?
            I suggest giving GD Customer Service a call to verify your specific VIN's bumper has the carrying capacity for the item proposed. With so many changes over the last several years it's hard to keep track of what-can-do-what.

If you get a "Heck No!" from GD to your query then you know the way forward. If they confirm your plan is within the RV's capabilities, then the way forward is also clear.

P.S. If you do call, let us know their answer!
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
            2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
            X