Change in coroplast material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change in coroplast material?

I have a couple of holes to patch where the GD tech cut to replace two spring hangers. In reading some forums, there is a lot of positive comments on Scrim tape. However, GD changed the coroplast in 2022. Mine is not a solid plastic but a fuzzy type of material that soaks up moisture. I've tried tape and it simply won't stick. Is there a new recommended method of repair for the underbelly?
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar, factory gen, 8K axles with discs, W/D, Heat Pump, Gen 2 Goosebox, Battleborn
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin

The tech should have resealed the coroplast, no? The trailer should have been given back to you the way it was to start.
    2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
    2023 F-350 SRW 7.3 Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by pappcam View Post
      The tech should have resealed the coroplast, no? The trailer should have been given back to you the way it was to start.
      Well, no such luck. He stuffed wet rags up to kill the welding sparks. Still don't know what to repair it with since the change in material.
      2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar, factory gen, 8K axles with discs, W/D, Heat Pump, Gen 2 Goosebox, Battleborn

Comment

Originally posted by ajg617 View Post

Well, no such luck. He stuffed wet rags up to kill the welding sparks. Still don't know what to repair it with since the change in material.
        Just a thought. You could patch it by using some zip ties to hold the patch in place. Another idea would be to use some pop-rivets.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

One of the methods used was to put a flat bar over the affected area then using fender washers and screws to attach the 2 sections together. This may lead to a larger than expected patch to avoid tanks and other critical items.

If you get lucky, the patch will be on a cross member.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

GD corporate repair says fill it with expanding foam. Seems like too large a hole for that. They both look like below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Coroplast.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	309.3 KB
ID:	119971

Comment

I would probably fill it with foam if it were mine. You could also add a small plate of aluminum using the 2 screws on the frame in the picture.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I have also had to patch holes/slots in mine. I put a piece of wood up in there to cover the hole, then used screws and fender washers up through the cover to secure to the material. then you can use foam to do the rest. I also tried tape, the the new cover material is too rough to let anything stick. Given where yours is, I also think sandwiching a metal plate under the 2 screws on the frame, then screws or pop rivets through with fender washers would work too.
                2022 Reflection 280RS
                2022 Silverado 2500 Duramax

Comment

Originally posted by steveluannj View Post
                  I have also had to patch holes/slots in mine. I put a piece of wood up in there to cover the hole, then used screws and fender washers up through the cover to secure to the material. then you can use foam to do the rest. I also tried tape, the the new cover material is too rough to let anything stick. Given where yours is, I also think sandwiching a metal plate under the 2 screws on the frame, then screws or pop rivets through with fender washers would work too.
                  The official GD repair procedure is to fill the hole with expanding foam. But when we were in Yellowstone last year, I went to the local building center and purchased this - https://westmart.doitbest.com/shop/p...ack?SKU=499924. When out at the factory last week, I was stunned to see it still in place after 6,000 miles and a cold winter. All I did was soak the 'coroplast' with alcohol, let it dry and applied. It's still there. But I like your idea of putting a piece of wood there as a backing.

Comment

Working...
                  X