Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper Deck Flex Measurement on Momentum 398M

Good evening,

I'm not sure if this is the correct area to post this so, if there is a more appropriate area, please let me know. I've recently had the Upper Deck Flex Measurement performed on our 2022 GD Momentum 398M. The readings were 99" with weight of trailer on the landing gear and 99 5/8" when load was on the king pin. So, the overall flex was 5/8". I've heard from reading in other forums that upper deck flex should be no more than 1/4" to 1/2". Some have said that no more than 3/4". Our trailer is either over or just barely under depending on who is correct on this matter. My dealer wouldn't say one way or the other. They are leaving it in the hands of GD. The reason we had the measurement performed in the first place is because the bedroom floor squeaks and nail/screw heads are popping up through the linoleum. This has been going on since the first time we took the trailer on her maiden voyage and was part of the original 33-item list that we provided to GD a year ago! They've already repaired the floor once but, we are noticing more heads starting to pop up! I'm thinking that there is an issue with frame welds breaking. This is a very well-known issue with the Lippert frames. Apparently, Lippert has addressed the problem but, perhaps ours slipped through their fingers??? Can anyone shed some light and maybe provide some real-world experience regarding this issue?

Thanks!
    Roger and Jan
    2022 Momentum 398M
    2021 RAM 3500 Limited DRW HO 6.7 Cummins TD

I should say that GD authorized our dealer to repair the floor earlier this year where nail/screw heads were popping up the first time. They have not fixed the issue with the current nail/screw heads popping up through the linoleum nor have they done any work to the frame as of this time. If my dealer does their job, GD should have the measurements in their hands as of today.
    Roger and Jan
    2022 Momentum 398M
    2021 RAM 3500 Limited DRW HO 6.7 Cummins TD

Comment

Good morning Roger. I moved your post from "non technical" to "Exterior". Please keep us informed on how GDRV reacts to your concerns.

Thanks,

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Cate&Rob I remember Rob stating how much flex was in the neck on the 303 based on his stabilizer loading. I have tagged him to see if he can post his results which not the Momentum and possibly not the same load that you have, but he did have some data on flex.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
          Cate&Rob I remember Rob stating how much flex was in the neck on the 303 based on his stabilizer loading. I have tagged him to see if he can post his results which not the Momentum and possibly not the same load that you have, but he did have some data on flex.
          See post 11 of this thread. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/interio...ent#post121543. The 1” of lift in the landing gear before all weight is transferred to the pin is an “approximate” measurement. I am not sure how the OP did his measurements.

Rob

Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I have not been able to check the lift to weight transfer height until i get a more stable ground. However, i dod notice some flex on a new joint i just finished replacing.

The fiirst image is with the trailer on the landing gear. The second is with the weight on the truck. is this much movement at the trim piece of the 5th wheel overhang normal/ acceptable? I dont see it on the other side. Maybe my caulking job is to nsrrow to allow some flex?
            Attached Files
            Pierre and Debbie
            2018 Ram 3500 SLT srw lb
            2018 GD Reflection 337 RLS

Comment

Please don't think this is your issue, but this video shows where I would inspect for issues. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ0kbkyKzt4

I've seen a couple of videos where issues were found in the neck area, all seem to have pointed to the same area that should be inspected.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
              X