AIM 15RB Generator addition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AIM 15RB Generator addition

I added a platform to the rear and Predator 5000 generator from Harbor Freight. I have found this to be a great value for the money. It is dual fuel and handles all of my electrical needs and topping off the batteries when off grid.
    Attached Files
    Bill
    2023 Imagine AIM 15RB
    2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Awesome Bill. Out of curiosity, what is the weight rating for the receiver on your 15RB? Is it 300 pounds? also, does the addition of the generator change any of your handling characteristics by putting too much weight in the back?

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

That's a great question and I did take a lot of consideration into the safety of installing anything on the very rear of the trailer. The receiver is 1 1/4 and I have found various weight ratings, with the lowest being 150lbs. Between the generator, cargo carrier, tank of fuel, and ratchet straps I am right at that limit.

I always inspect and monitor it regularly and specificity started with shorter trips with varying conditions from local roads to highway travel. I also have not yet had a chance to properly weigh my trailer/tongue weight as I am still making changes with battery relocation to the front pass-through, loading and determining what I "need" to carry but I also intend to do that.

I have not noted any negative towing effects as of yet in towing with or without it. Also if I am taking the camper out where I have electric hookups it is not installed, I only install it when I am dry camping and if I take the additional propane tank for it, it is secured inside the rear of the tow vehicle while traveling.

I have the 6000lb Anderson sway bar and spent alot of time testing and fine tuning my brake controller. The trailer has been exceptional towing in every circumstance. The largest noticeable effect would be a low speed start on a steep hill. Otherwise other than reduced fuel milage it has been a great vehicle/trailer combination.
      Bill
      2023 Imagine AIM 15RB
      2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comment

Bill2023 - That's great to hear and makes another great data point for other owners.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Bill2023 View Post
          That's a great question and I did take a lot of consideration into the safety of installing anything on the very rear of the trailer. The receiver is 1 1/4 and I have found various weight ratings, with the lowest being 150lbs.
          Yep, 150 lbs is the maximum for that hitch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	114
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	124607

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	110
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	124608
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
          X