Gutter leaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gutter leaks

Had slideout covers installed. Caused a gutter leak on one side. Water runs down the side. Other side where the awning is, gutter leaks right at the door. Looking for the best fix. Silicone, Water proof caulk etc. Brand new camper. Can't get back to the dealer. Any ideas on this? Thanks

There should be a caulk seal between the gutter and the siding. If that has pulled loose, it needs to be recaulked.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

It leaks where the gutters join together. I can see the separation. What type of calk?

Comment

Caulk. Sorry about the spelling.

Comment

I've had no luck with silicon/caulking at the gutter rail joint. I have had some success using strips of Alpha roof tape and flex seal spray. The challenge is sealing the wall-side of the joint.

Mike
          Mike & Sonya
          2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
          Blue Ox SwayPro
          2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Thanks. I'll see what I can do.

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmoline View Post
              Thanks. I'll see what I can do.
              Be careful if the gutter rail doubles as the base for the awning. Unscrewing the gutter rail without securing the awning makes for a bad day. (Yep, ask me how I know...)

Also, before reinserting the gutter rail screws: dip them in silicone to create a moisture-resistant barrier.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
              2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by NoPeeking View Post
                I've had no luck with silicon/caulking at the gutter rail joint. I have had some success using strips of Alpha roof tape and flex seal spray. The challenge is sealing the wall-side of the joint.

Mike
                Hi Mike,

I know exactly what you mean! The factory uses silicone and once there is a silicone film on the surface, new caulking or silicone will not stick. This is the same issue around windows and any other attachments to the body. If anybody has a solution, I would be very interested.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Hi Mike,

I know exactly what you mean! The factory uses silicone and once there is a silicone film on the surface, new caulking or silicone will not stick. This is the same issue around windows and any other attachments to the body. If anybody has a solution, I would be very interested.

Rob
                  Ask me how many cotton swabs in acetone I burned through... that inner gutter rail is a small fiddly place to work.

Mike
                  Mike & Sonya
                  2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
                  Blue Ox SwayPro
                  2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Well, this sounds fun. I appreciate the info. Being a former carpenter, I've learned to hate silicone.

Comment

Working...
                    X