2022 Imagine Skylight Cracking Badly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 Imagine Skylight Cracking Badly

I've searched and read through the forums as much as my brain can handle in reference to replacing our badly cracked skylight.
    I'd prefer to not have to replace the inner diffuser/trim if I don't have to, and don't know how to determine this other than ordering a GD replacement, but since my skylight cracked so badly, I'm hesitant to go that route. In my reading I saw posts that GD had an issue with them cracking, and our TT was purchased used, so it's not a warranty thing.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good quality replacement skylight that doesn't require replacing the internal diffuser/trim part?
    Mike
    2022 Imagine 2970RL
    2023 Chevrolet 2500HD Custom

I don't have a part number for it, but I had the dealer install a tinted cover over our skylight to help keep the heat down in the bathroom. You might try that option vs pulling the sealant and fighting that headache.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Miklb58 View Post
      I've searched and read through the forums as much as my brain can handle in reference to replacing our badly cracked skylight.
      I'd prefer to not have to replace the inner diffuser/trim if I don't have to, and don't know how to determine this other than ordering a GD replacement, but since my skylight cracked so badly, I'm hesitant to go that route. In my reading I saw posts that GD had an issue with them cracking, and our TT was purchased used, so it's not a warranty thing.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good quality replacement skylight that doesn't require replacing the internal diffuser/trim part?
      I'm not sure I understand why the internal diffuser/trim is a concern? That's just a decorative piece. What is a concern is the actual skylight (mounted on the roof) cracking. Those cracks let in water -- the #1 enemy of RVs.

This is the interior decorative diffuser:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	218
Size:	361.3 KB
ID:	129310

This is a typical skylight showing the screw holes for attachment to the roof. (The screws are buried under sealant.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	178
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	129311

TucsonJim has a good thread on what he did when replacing his skylight. See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...ht-replacement

Howard

P.S. The reason most skylights crack is because GD used the wrong type screw on installation. Probably not the right term, but they used concave (angled) head screws instead of squared off (flat) head screws. They also overtorqued them, which is normal. Unfortunately.

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Miklb58 - I replaced my two outer skylights in 2021 and documented it on this forum. Here's a link:

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...ht-replacement

The link shows the skylight I purchased from Amazon. I sold that trailer a few months ago, and the skylights still looked to be in great shape.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I'm not sure I understand why the internal diffuser/trim is a concern? That's just a decorative piece.
          Howard
          Hey Howard,
          Thanks for the reply.
          Sorry that I didn't state that concern clearly. I'm a little unsure as to whether a different make/model that's shaped slightly different (which all appear to be shaped differently) will contact the inner diffuser/trim piece. That is all.
          The thread that you referenced by TucsonJim was one that I'd read recently! Very good write up.
          I'll send TucsonJim a PM asking if the brand he used worked without interference from the internal diffuser/trim.

Thanks again!
          Mike
          2022 Imagine 2970RL

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
            Miklb58 - I replaced my two outer skylights in 2021 and documented it on this forum. Here's a link:

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...ht-replacement

The link shows the skylight I purchased from Amazon. I sold that trailer a few months ago, and the skylights still looked to be in great shape.

Jim
            Hi Jim,
            Thanks for the input! Your detailed write up was great!
            Did the replacement skylight you used clear the inner diffuser/trim ok? With different shaped replacements, I was concerned that the skylight might contact the diffuser.

Mike
            Mike
            2022 Imagine 2970RL

Comment

Hi Jim,
              Thanks for the input! Your detailed write up was great!
              Did the replacement skylight you used clear the inner diffuser/trim ok? With different shaped replacements, I was concerned that the skylight might contact the diffuser.

Mike
              The inner diffuser and trim were the original and they didn't interfere at all.

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie

Comment

The inner diffuser and trim were the original and they didn't interfere at all.

Jim
                Fantastic!
                I will order one based on your success.
                I was considering purchasing the Icon brand, but they recommended using their own sealant, and I don't know enough about plastics to know if the Alpha self levelling &/or Butyl Tape might cause an allergic reaction to the plastic.
                Lastly, in your write up, you said:
                "Step Six - Apply new lap sealant. I used Alpha Systems Super Flex beige self leveling lap sealant."
                I don't find a product at Alpha (or Lippert) by that name. Was it just the 1021 Self Levelling Lap Sealant?

Mike
                Mike
                2022 Imagine 2970RL

Comment

Fantastic!
                  I will order one based on your success.
                  I was considering purchasing the Icon brand, but they recommended using their own sealant, and I don't know enough about plastics to know if the Alpha self levelling &/or Butyl Tape might cause an allergic reaction to the plastic.
                  Lastly, in your write up, you said:
                  "Step Six - Apply new lap sealant. I used Alpha Systems Super Flex beige self leveling lap sealant."
                  I don't find a product at Alpha (or Lippert) by that name. Was it just the 1021 Self Levelling Lap Sealant?

Mike
                  I think they changed the name a while back. 1021 is the correct product.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie

Comment

This is the one I used. I also documented my replacement on our Transcend in 2021. I don't have the link to that thread.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                    Bill & Cindy
                    2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
                    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                    SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post
                      I also documented my replacement on our Transcend in 2021. I don't have the link to that thread.
                      Here's your thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...nt-outer-cover

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I think they changed the name a while back. 1021 is the correct product.

Jim
                        Great, thank you!
                        I assumed the 1021 would be good, so a skylight, butyl tape, screws & lap sealant should all be here in the next couple of days.

Mike
                        Mike
                        2022 Imagine 2970RL

Comment

Country Campers Advised me the next morning that my pics did not come through, so I edited the post. Hopefully they're showing now.

I completed the skylight replacement today.
                          The type of screws used was not the issue, but just a poor job. Over tightened screws, Screws not hitting the butyl tape under the skylight, and one screw completely missed the skylight.
                          December 2021 build date.

Terrible workmanship to say the least.

Left rear cracks. This is the only one that I thought I had until a few weeks ago.
                          All those white lines are cracks with lapping in them. The cracks were present when they applied the lapping.
                          The gooey stuff all along the radius is my patching over all the cracks last week to stop water intrusion.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Left Rear.jpg Views:	0 Size:	125.3 KB ID:	129716

A completely buried screw
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	Buried Screw.jpg Views:	0 Size:	119.5 KB ID:	129717

Right front cracks
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	Right Front.jpg Views:	0 Size:	165.6 KB ID:	129718

Right rear cracks
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	Right Rear.jpg Views:	0 Size:	176.5 KB ID:	129719

Installer fails the eyes closed attempt
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	Ooops.jpg Views:	0 Size:	189.6 KB ID:	129720

New skylight screwed in place
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	New Screwed In.jpg Views:	0 Size:	137.3 KB ID:	129721

The screws I used (stainless)
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	Screws.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.7 KB ID:	129722

After one tube of Alpha 1021 Self levelling lap sealant
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	Lapping x 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	131.2 KB ID:	129723

I purchased 3 tubes of the sealant but only used one so far. Should I use more?
                          Last edited by Miklb58; 03-03-2024, 09:11 AM.
                          Mike
                          2022 Imagine 2970RL

Comment

Miklb58

Mike,
                            If you attached pictures they did not make it.

Brian
                            Brian & Michelle
                            2018 Reflection 29RS
                            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                              Miklb58

Mike,
                              If you attached pictures they did not make it.

Brian
                              Thank you for letting me know.
                              I think I fixed it.
                              Last night when I made the post, I used the "Upload Attachments" button at the bottom, and they were showing for me in the post.
                              I edited each one this morning using the image icon at the top, so I believe they're showing now.​
                              Last edited by Miklb58; 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM.
                              Mike
                              2022 Imagine 2970RL

Comment

Working...
                              X