Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ladder replacement

2022 2600RB

Had some ladder damage over the winter (water leakage into the ladder then expansion upon freezing). Ladder tube frame split in a couple locations. Got a new ladder courtesy of Grand Design (apparently the new design has a hole or two pre-drilled into the bottom rung of the ladder to help prevent this from occurring).

My question is regarding installation. Is it as simple as unscrewing the old ladder off and screwing in the new one? I don't have my trailer in front of me. Is there also sealant that I'll need to remove and then reapply at the top mount on the roof?

Also, I've noticed that the bottom couple rungs of the ladder are below the last support point to the trailer. That lower part of the ladder is prone to bending because of this. Has any one added additional support to the lower rungs of the ladder. It looks like Grand Design did provide extra support brackets in the box (might be what this is for?) Any feedback on this would be appreciated as well.

Thanks.
    Ken
    2022 Imagine 2600RB
    2022 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.6l Gas

Yes there will be sealant to remove and replace at the ladder mounts on the roof. I would also recommend putting some clear silicone on all of the screws that penetrate the RV, this will seal those holes as well.

I have not seen anyone add supports to the lower end of the ladder.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Brian. Any recommendations on the best way to remove the roof sealant that is covering the enter ladder roof mount backets? I've never has to remove any of this roof sealant before.

Thx.
      Ken
      2022 Imagine 2600RB

Comment

Plastic scrapers, a little heat from a heat gun or hair dryer and lots of patience. It will take some time to get it cleaned off and your hands will probably be sore.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Do I need to take ALL the old sealant off or can I take just enough off to get the ladder mount off and then put new sealant over top the old?

Ken
          2022 Imagine 2600RB

Comment

You want to get a nice clean area so there is good adhesion when applying the new sealant. If the old is well stuck then cleaning most off and using some mineral spirits to clean the roof area and apply new sealant should be good. The more of the old you get off the better you will be with the new.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
              You want to get a nice clean area so there is good adhesion when applying the new sealant. If the old is well stuck then cleaning most off and using some mineral spirits to clean the roof area and apply new sealant should be good. The more of the old you get off the better you will be with the new.

Brian
              A caveat would be to make sure that the new sealant is compatible with the old. Best bet is to use the same sealant as original.
              John
              2018 Momentum 395M
              2018 Ram 3500 Dually
              Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Thank you Brian and John. Project complete. Sealant actually came off pretty good when heated up (thumb on the edge of a blister though).

I greatly appreciate your help. Made the project much more straight forward for me.

Ken
                2022 Imagine 2600RB

Comment

kd2600RB

Hi Ken,

I may be a little late to the party since you have the new ladder installed, but, how did you seal the fastening to the rear wall? GD typically installs the screws dry and then “seals” around the flange plate with silicone. It is very difficult to get new silicone to stick to old silicone . . . but, what you are trying to do is seal the screw holes to prevent wanted intrusion. This can be done by dipping each screw in silicone before installing it. If the screws are sealed, there is no need to seal around the flange plates.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hi Rob.

I decided to put silicone in each screw hole ahead of attaching the ladder. So effectively the same as dipping the screw in silicone.

Ken.
                    Ken
                    2022 Imagine 2600RB

Comment

Working...
                    X