New LED tail lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New LED tail lights

We are looking to upgrade the tail lights on our 2019 GD Reflections 150 273 MK. The original taillights are so dim they are hard to see even after changing out bulbs. The existing lights take the old incandescent bulbs ( 1157). Does anyone one have any suggestions? Thanks
    2023 GD Imagine XLS 23LDE

I purchased LED replacement bulbs for my 1157 incandescent lamps. It was crazy, but caused a litany of problems with my truck! Evidently, the truck is looking for a certain resistance when the brake lamps are illuminated. If it doesn't see that resistance, it will flag it as an error and flash a code on the driver's information panel that the trailer is not connected. It took weeks if trouble-shooting to finally understand what was going on. I put the incandescent bulbs back in, and never had another issue.

I know several owners have replaced their tail lamp/brake light assemblies with digital versions that don't appear to create the same problems I encountered. Here's a thread from Howard howson who posted about the topic a while back:

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...s-2019-315rlts

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks I’m looking to completely replace the lights as changing the bulbs wether led or incandescent has had no effect. The tester says all the wiring is good.

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
        I purchased LED replacement bulbs for my 1157 incandescent lamps. It was crazy, but caused a litany of problems with my truck! Evidently, the truck is looking for a certain resistance when the brake lamps are illuminated. If it doesn't see that resistance, it will flag it as an error and flash a code on the driver's information panel that the trailer is not connected. It took weeks if trouble-shooting to finally understand what was going on. I put the incandescent bulbs back in, and never had another issue.

I know several owners have replaced their tail lamp/brake light assemblies with digital versions that don't appear to create the same problems I encountered. Here's a thread from Howard howson who posted about the topic a while back:

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...s-2019-315rlts

Jim
        TucsonJim Jim,

I've seen information somewhere in adding in a resistor and will eventually find the document. What brand truck are you having issues with on the LEDs? I also purchased some LED 1157 replacements but did not use them since the reflectors do not focus all the LED energy out the back of the lens. So I opted for the brand Howard used for tail lights. I did however buy some Philips 194 LED conversion bulbs for my marker lights and they made a significant improvement.

https://www.ebay.com/i/323708254954?...1221a3375d6f22

Jim
        Last edited by Guest; 08-10-2020, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

TucsonJim Jim,

I've seen information somewhere in adding in a resistor and will eventually find the document. What brand truck are you having issues with on the LEDs? I also purchased some LED 1157 replacements but did not use them since the reflectors do not focus all the LED energy out the back of the lens. So I opted for the brand Howard used for tail lights. I did however buy some Philips 194 LED conversion bulbs for my marker lights and they made a significant improvement.

https://www.ebay.com/i/323708254954?...1221a3375d6f22

Jim
          Jim - It was on a 2016 Ford F350 Super Duty. The incandescents are working fine. I also replaced the marker lights with an LED version.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

TucsonJim Jim,

I found the document but unfortunately I cannot post it but can give some details with respect to GM trucks. The combination trailer stop/turn, park, and backup lamps (if used) must draw at least 55mA of total current to be detected as a trailer. Ford and FCA would have a similar specification.

Jim

Comment

Our truck is a 2001 Ford F-350 Crew Cab DRW, so we don’t have a lot the newer electronics.

Comment

Working...
              X