Is a larger awning possible on the 375 RES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a larger awning possible on the 375 RES

Have a Grand Design Solitude 2019 375RES. Finally getting to really use it and am loving it more each day. Do have one question though. Am wondering if it is possible to get a larger awning that will also cover the dining room slide. Am getting wet using the steps when it is raining. Looked at getting a slide cover but the closeness of the slide to the awning arm could possibly cause issues, I believe, and would still not solve the issue with getting wet entering and leaving the camper while it is raining. We do not leave the awning out when we are away from the camper and do bring it in when weather is bad. Any suggestions or thoughts on using a larger awning or other possible solutions?
    2023 397THS-R
    William Wise

webe1959
    Welcome to our owners technical forum.

The problem that you describe is something faced by every layout that has a slide right beside the entry door. On a 5th wheel, the slope of the roof usually prevents an awning that goes completely over the slide . . . although this might be possible with a Solitude because off the more level roof line. No one makes an awning where the fabric extends beyond the arm . . . although some of us have contemplated how that might be possible. A solution that might not be the most elegant . . . but, works if it is not too windy, is a golf umbrella over the gap.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1031.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	26623
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Welcome to the forum Webe1959.

I have pulled the wall drawings for your 375 RES, and would advise against adding a different length awning. Here's why:

When the wall is manufactured in the GDRV factory, they insert strips of Electro-Galvanized Sheet Metal (EGS) as backing for the awning mounting arms. When they install the factory awning, the screws penetrate the outer fiberglass, and bite into the EGS. If you were to change the mounting point, there would be no EGS in other locations. It may be possible to locate a stud for backing, but that is not it's intended purpose. It's my opinion that the fiberglass wall could be damaged if other mounting methods were used.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks Rob, thought of that. And Jim thanks. Now I don't have to wonder about it anymore.
        2023 397THS-R
        William Wise

Comment

Working...
        X