Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New GD Transcend Owners-Awning Issues

Hello,

We're new owners of a 2021 Grand Design Transcend 32BHS and new to the forum. We're not new to camping or travel trailer ownership and recently developed an awning issue with our trailer.

Long story short-a few days ago we realized the pitch mechanism on the forward side of the trailer was inoperable. Seemed to be an interference issue as the aft side worked fine. Fast forward a few days later-a freak rain shower popped up and within about 5 minutes the awning assembly came apart where the roll tube meets the end cap/coupling that attaches to the motor/gearbox assembly. I had just made it to the trailer when this happened (was rushing back from the pool area due to the rain rolling in) and there wasn't an excessive amount of water pooled on the awning-there wasn't any wind at the time of failure either.

I know about proper awning usage and that the awning has no weight bearing capacity and is for sun shade only. Where the motor/gearbox assembly casting cracked and where the roll tube attaches to the end coupling look to be the main contributors to the failure. Im not sure at this point if rain was the main issue or if this would have happened at my next extend/retract operation of the entire assembly. Ive contacted Grand Design about the issue and i know that usually awning failures are not covered. The trailer is about 3 weeks old.

Has anyone experienced this on the Transcend or any other trailer? I was able to get the roll tube re-attached-where the self tapping screws stripped out, 2 of 3 still held the assembly together, but barely. What should be my next move? Does anyone know any good mobile RV repair services around Jacksonville, FL or Tryon, NC that can fix the issue? I'm not sure if repair parts would be backordered or not and we leave Florida in 7 days to head back towards the Tryon, NC area.

Since this is the first time I've seen this failure mode, I can't assist in recommended repairs. But I am interested in hearing how GDRV responds to your request for help. Please keep us up to date as this proceeds.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by CampBohannon View Post
      Does anyone know any good mobile RV repair services around Jacksonville, FL...
      Campers Inn is a Grand Design dealer and they are in Jacksonville. I haven't been in the dealership for over a year, but the time I did visit they were very helpful and friendly.

Hopefully GD (via Campers Inn) can get fix you up.

Please post back with the resolution.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
      X