Flexing front panel on XLS 22 MLE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flexing front panel on XLS 22 MLE

Front panel on my new 22 MLE flexes when driving at moderate speeds of 45 to55 mph

Originally posted by Dah274 View Post
    Front panel on my new 22 MLE flexes when driving at moderate speeds of 45 to55 mph
    Welcome to Grand Design's Technical Forum, Dah274. I've seen this same complaint from other owners of XLS'. I have no expertise in this area but certainly understand the concern.

GDRV-Emily and/or GDRV-Megan -- is there an official GD response that you can share related to this issue?

Howard (moderator)
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Dah274 -- please call Grand Design Customer Service and create a case for your cap. They are aware of the issue. Please note the person answering the phone may not know what's going on...so be politely persistent. You can reference GDRV-Emily (Emily Stahley) and this thread if necessary. But you probably won't have an issue--the Customer Service folks are usually great to work with (at least that's been my experience).

Will you do us the favor of posting a follow up with how this turns out?

Howard
      Last edited by howson; 09-03-2020, 07:33 PM. Reason: Removed pic with wrong phone #.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Originally posted by Dah274 View Post
        Dah274 - I also have a 22mle but haven’t noticed flexing but I also have not looked for it. To be a little more clear, are you talking about the panel with the Imagine XLS decal, or the diamond shield panel below, or the curved roof panel with the amber running lights?
        2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L
        2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
        Andersen WDH
        Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
        2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
        2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger1 View Post

Dah274 - I also have a 22mle but haven’t noticed flexing but I also have not looked for it. To be a little more clear, are you talking about the panel with the Imagine XLS decal, or the diamond shield panel below, or the curved roof panel with the amber running lights?
          There's a video posted by a Sabrina Dowdy on the GDRV4Life Facebook page. I doubt the link will work as the group is private (you have to join to see it). https://www.facebook.com/SabrinaDowd...4187762405456/

I made a video of the video so you don't have to go to Facebook (if you don't want to). If I get any complaints from the original individual on Facebook I'll remove it.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

There's a video posted by a Sabrina Dowdy on the GDRV4Life Facebook page. I doubt the link will work as the group is private (you have to join to see it). https://www.facebook.com/SabrinaDowd...4187762405456/

I made a video of the video so you don't have to go to Facebook (if you don't want to). If I get any complaints from the original individual on Facebook I'll remove it.
            howson Thank you for taking the time to post that. It’s a little grainy but I think I see what’s happening. Next time I tow I’ll keep an eye out for it.

2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L
            2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
            Andersen WDH
            Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
            2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
            2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger1 View Post

howson Thank you for taking the time to post that. It’s a little grainy but I think I see what’s happening. Next time I tow I’ll keep an eye out for it.
              Again, thanks for the vid.
              I went out and pushed against mine and it flexes a fair amount. I'm not sure what can be done at this point and what the long term effects are going to be, if any.

Any thoughts?
              Robert and Chris
              2021 XLS 22MLE (somewhat factory stock)
              2018 Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Bob View Post

Again, thanks for the vid.
                I went out and pushed against mine and it flexes a fair amount. I'm not sure what can be done at this point and what the long term effects are going to be, if any.

Any thoughts?
                Previous discussions with GDRV is that this is a pretty standard technique and material application that has not shown detrimental long term effects. I'd document any flexing going on in case there's a point in the future where a large number of units are affected. It is my personal opinion that it is a non-issue, but my background is manufacturing engineering and not mechanical engineering.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Previous discussions with GDRV is that this is a pretty standard technique and material application that has not shown detrimental long term effects. I'd document any flexing going on in case there's a point in the future where a large number of units are affected. It is my personal opinion that it is a non-issue, but my background is manufacturing engineering and not mechanical engineering.

Jim
                  Thanks TJ.
                  I guess I need to find some other model GDs and push on the nose to see if this flex is actually "industry standard". I would have never noticed it had it not been mentioned here.

Interesting.
                  Robert and Chris
                  2021 XLS 22MLE (somewhat factory stock)
                  2018 Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab

Comment

Thank you for the info. We will try to get a corporate response and answer for this asap

Comment

Working...
                    X