2021 Imagine 3110BH critter tore into my sealant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 Imagine 3110BH critter tore into my sealant

As stated in the title some type of critter this weekend tore into the sealant on the roof and also got part of the roof material into the wood. I noticed this when I went up to got the leaves off of the slides. Any ideas on how to fix the hole in the roof?
    Brent, Krista, and our 6 year old nugget
    Cruising with two Black Labs, Lestat and Pandora
    2021 Ram 3500 Dually Long Bed 4X4 HO Cummins (Blue Sapphire)
    2021 Imagine 3110BH (The Dog House)

Love2GoFastUSCG . I'm a relatively new to having a travel trailer. I would defer to some of the more experienced owners, but my recommendation would be Eternabond tape to fill the hole, and more self leveling roof sealant to cover the area's the rodent (Squirrel?) dug into but did not penetrate.

And a rodent tracking turret? I'm actually semi-serious, they do have wildlife sensing sprinklers that go off to discourage them from being in the area.
    Mike
    2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Brent - Looking at the photos, I'd just reseal with Alpha Systems self leveling sealant. You can purchase it through Camping World (in store or on-line) under the brand name SuperFlex. It looks like you caught it before any serious damage happened. Good job!

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Making, yeah I did a search and saw a video of someone using tape for the hole. I wonder if I should put some sealant into the hole then the tape.

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
          Brent - Looking at the photos, I'd just reseal with Alpha Systems self leveling sealant. You can purchase it through Camping World (in store or on-line) under the brand name SuperFlex. It looks like you caught it before any serious damage happened. Good job!

Jim
          Jim, appreciate it. Yeah I always walk the roof before we roll at from the campground to check the slides. I will head out to camping world to get some tubes of Superflex asap and a roll of roof tape. Damn critters.

Comment

Crows are good for this , other smaller birds as well.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

So jumping on Camping Worlds website and the Superflex has been discontinued that I can see. I see Dicor but dont know if that will work with the material of my roof. Any thoughts?

Comment

I apologize everyone. I just saw Tuscanjim post in the exterior forum regarding source of supply for Alpha products at Lippert Components. I am on the site now about to order tape and sealant. Thank you all for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Love2GoFastUSCG View Post
                  I apologize everyone. I just saw Tuscanjim post in the exterior forum regarding source of supply for Alpha products at Lippert Components. I am on the site now about to order tape and sealant. Thank you all for the help.
                  You'll find it on Amazon, too, under the RecPro label.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RecPro.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	33824
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                  2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

You'll find it on Amazon, too, under the RecPro label.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RecPro.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	33824
                    I appreciate the info. I ordered the stuff from Lippert before I read this. I just want to make sure I have the correct sealant and not mess up the roof. So many products out there its kind of annoying to figure out. Thats why I love this forum. All ways full of great insightful info.

Comment

Question. I went on the roof with a plastic putty blade to remove the sealant around the tv antenna as I found more small holes to the wood. The roof material seems to want to come up with the sealant. Should I use a heat gun to soften up the sealant to peel it off? I have never done this type of thing and don't want to mess up my 5 month old roof.

Comment

Originally posted by Love2GoFastUSCG View Post
                        Question. I went on the roof with a plastic putty blade to remove the sealant around the tv antenna as I found more small holes to the wood. The roof material seems to want to come up with the sealant. Should I use a heat gun to soften up the sealant to peel it off? I have never done this type of thing and don't want to mess up my 5 month old roof.
                        Getting that sealant off is a tedious process. I used a plastic putty blade, too, when I swapped out my fan and had sealant left on the roof. I had to remove the old sealant to get the new fan to seat flush to the roof. I didn't try a hair dryer (I wouldn't use a heat gun) to warm up the old putty. I doubt it will hurt anything...but that's speculation.

If possible and there's no imperative to remove the old sealant, you could just leave it. Reseal right on top of the old sealant (ensuring it's nice and clean) with new self-leveling.
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Getting that sealant off is a tedious process. I used a plastic putty blade, too, when I swapped out my fan and had sealant left on the roof. I had to remove the old sealant to get the new fan to seat flush to the roof. I didn't try a hair dryer (I wouldn't use a heat gun) to warm up the old putty. I doubt it will hurt anything...but that's speculation.

If possible and there's no imperative to remove the old sealant, you could just leave it. Reseal right on top of the old sealant (ensuring it's nice and clean) with new self-leveling.
                          From what I'm seeing the critter in some places got through the sealant and through the roof material to the wood. I have for now placed self leveling in a lot of the spots. I would like to pull up all the sealant around the tv/radio dish and place some eternabond tape in those hole areas then reseal with new self level. I figured which I may be wrong but try to warm up the sealant so it would release from the roof material. I might just see what a dealer would charge to do this as well which I am sure is an arm and a leg.

Comment

Working...
                          X