Roof repair advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof repair advice

We had a bit of a windstorm here, over the weekend, and sustained damage to the roof of our 303. An 8-foot long hardwood branch broke off a tree above, and drove a 1-1/2” limb through the roof and ceiling. There is about a 1–1/2” hole in the roof and about a 6-8” tear in the ceiling, where the heaviest part of the branch swung out to the side and broke off. We had about an 18” limb sticking all the way through. It came to a stop about an inch above the slide, so no damage to that at all. It also appears to have swung clear of the rest of the roof, walls and windows, as it continued it descent to the ground.

I’ve spoke to the GD service center, and Matt said that the roof membrane will probably need to be replaced, along with the substrate that is under it. While they have that apart, they can repair any damage to the ducting and replace the interior ceiling panel. Now for my question...

The insurance company does not have anyone in the area that they can recommend for the repairs. They mentioned Camping World but, before he could even complete the sentence, I said that Camping World would never, ever, touch my trailer. He said that’s okay, they were really too far away, anyway.

Matt, at GD, suggested Camper’s Inn in Elwood City, PA as well as Meyers RV in Apollo, PA and Ansley in Duncansville. Has anyone ever used the service departments at any of these facilities? If so, what was your experience? I think this needs to be done by an above average repair shop, as it’s more than just adjusting a refrigerator or fixing a furnace or water heater. We plan to have this trailer for years, so I want a first-class repair, not something to just get it in and out of a shop.

Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, in advance,
    Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Originally posted by Tom in PGH View Post
    Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated.
    You're going to think I'm crazy (and that's sure possible) but consider doing an emergency patch job with Eternabond tape and self-leveling sealant. Then tow your camper to Jacksonville, Florida and have a FlexArmor roof installed.

Before you dismiss the idea, do some research on FlexArmor. Since you're keeping the camper, get the roof repaired, and greatly improved, so you don't have to worry about it again.

I don't have any personal experience directly with the product or company, but after doing my own research this is the way I'm going if (when?) my 315RLTS needs a new roof.

https://rvroof.com/

Also, did you fire up the air conditioner and see if any air was coming out of that new hole in your ceiling? I can't tell from the pictures but it might have punctured the a/c "racetrack" in the ceiling.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I was considering using some Eternabond tape. I have some that I could use, as well as some self-leveling Alpha sealant. Since I wasn’t sure exactly what might be required for the final repair, I was hesitant to use it, as it’s pretty permanent, and I didn’t know if it would be a problem, depending on what the repair method is. I did put a great deal of duct tape over the hole, as well as over several other minor sized tears/punctures, as a temp fix.

I hadn’t thought about turning on the air to check for a hole through the duct work, but it has crossed my mind that this is a real possibility. In talking to the service center, he said that they should check out the ducting when they have the roof off.

I’ve followed a few threads about the replacement roof material, but hadn’t really considered it for my issue. Not a bad idea, though. I’ll look into it.

Thanks.

Comment

Tom in PGH

Hi Tom & Janice,

Sorry to learn about this unfortunate experience. Where are you currently located? Is a trip to the factory service center in Goshen a possibility? If you want to know that it is returned to "like new" . . . that would be the place to get the work done.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I suggested that, but he said that they are booked solid for the next four months. If I can’t find anyone local, I may still consider that, as I agree it would probably be the best assurance of a quality job.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom in PGH View Post
            I suggested that, but he said that they are booked solid for the next four months. If I can’t find anyone local, I may still consider that, as I agree it would probably be the best assurance of a quality job.
            I am not surprised that they are booked four months out . . . but, that would get you to better travel conditions in the spring. I think an eternabond and self-levelling repair would hold things until then . . . if you keep an eye on it. You could even put a piece of plywood over the major hole and caulk/eternabond that to the roof, if the eventual plan is total roof membrane replacement.

I have had major repairs done at the factory service center in Goshen and can't say enough about how good they are at what they do. For me . . . it would be worth the wait.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Tom in PGH I agree with everyone here, if you are looking at a full membrane replacement anyway (flex armor or factory material) then pretty much whatever you do to the existing roof will not matter. I would Eternabond and Alpha seal it, and either take the appointment at the factory in four months (possibly they have a waiting list?) or do the Flex Armor as howson suggested.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

howson

Howard,

There are flex armor locations in TN and NC and other locations. It is impressive stuff.

RV Roof Install LLC in GA is another quality shop that installs 60mil Industrial TPO and also does not use lap sealant. There are plenty of YouTube videos of both outfits.

Jim

Comment

I was on their website and saw the locations in NC and TN. Are these franchises? Would the workmanship be the same as in Jacksonville?

Thanks

Comment

Tom,

Yes these are franchises for the spray on material. Having GDRV to do the re-roof would be good to put it back in its original shape but there are better roof systems such as Flex Armor and RV Roof Install LLC if you want something that will last longer than OEM.

https://rvroof.com/find-a-location/

https://www.rvroofinstall.com/

Jim
                    Last edited by Guest; 11-17-2020, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Of course, duct tape and sealant are a solution, but only for a short time. In any case, when I encountered a similar problem, such repairs helped me only temporarily. Then, on the advice of a friend, I turned to the professionals. The roofing company from Indianapolis repaired the roof for real. Now I try to put my camper away from tall and old trees. The camper's roof has also been reinforced a bit at my request. I don't want to be in the same situation again. After all, a branch through the camper's roof could seriously injure one of us, if not something worse.
                      Last edited by StephanieGris; 03-31-2022, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X