Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Decipher the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decipher the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)

Edit: At the request of multiple critics (who shall forever remain anonymous...maybe...) the title has been changed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stolen from https://gdrv4life.granddesignrv.com/...ication-number

The unique 17-digit vehicle identification number (VIN) for your RV is listed on the Federal Certification label, and is stamped on a metal tag permanently attached to the RV A-frame.

A breakdown of a typical Grand Design RV VIN is shown in the example below:

Click image for larger version  Name:	VIN.JPG Views:	0 Size:	74.8 KB ID:	35160
    SAE World Identifier:
    573 — Grand Design RV

Make / Model:
    E — Imagine
    S — Solitude
    M — Momentum
    R — Reflection
    T — Transcend

Length:
    The number listed falls within a predetermined, specified grouping that does not indicate the actual measured length of your RV.

Model Year:
    E - 2014
    F - 2015
    G - 2016
    H - 2017
    J - 2018
    K - 2019
    L - 2020
    M - 2021
    N - 2022
    P - 2023
    R - 2024

Q & A
    Q: What does Grand Design mean by (non-sequential) on the VIN? (I'm looking at recalls that apply to my Rig, and I see that on many of them). My model / year shows up in a bunch of recalls, but the VIN doesn't. @mpking

A: The non sequential VIN numbers relates to "as they come off of the line". They may have a few reflections, Solitudes, then a few more Reflections. The sequential VIN is issues as they come off of the line regardless of the model. @ThePowells
    Last edited by howson; 12-04-2020, 07:56 AM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

A new VIN chart provided by a rep from GD.

Click image for larger version

Name:	202211 VIN Decipher from GD for Forum v2.jpg
Views:	1861
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	100483
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Howard, this information used to be in the Owners Manual. Nice to share this post for folks.......hope still in the Owners Manual as well.

Dan
      Dan & Carol
      2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
      2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

howson

Any word on what the additional trailer make/series code "L" is for? It lists 'Silhouette', but I've never heard of a series with that name. Something new coming down the pipe? They also list a code "X" for utility trailer, so is there a flat deck model coming too?
        2019 Imagine 2400BH
        2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

On a wild guess, I bet the critics said that VIN Number is from the department of redundancy department! Not that I would ever utter such!
          2020 Solitude 2930RL S-Class

Comment

Modern VINs are based on two related standards, originally issued by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) in 1979 and 1980: ISO 3779 and ISO 3780, respectively.​
            Ted
            2021 Reflection 310RLS
            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post
              howson

Any word on what the additional trailer make/series code "L" is for? It lists 'Silhouette', but I've never heard of a series with that name. Something new coming down the pipe? They also list a code "X" for utility trailer, so is there a flat deck model coming too?
              GD uses lots of different types of trailers around the facility that are purpose built for certain tasks, If I remember we were told that some of those questionable "names" are used for those items.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
              X