Vent install, removing existing sealant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vent install, removing existing sealant

I installed a Cyclone vent for the black tank yesterday. It was about 70 degrees out. In carefully removing the sealant I ended up supporting the membrane with a putty knife and using another putty knife between the supporting knife and sealant. I'm no overly concerned but, the membrane did pull up some even with being supported causing some bubbling. I elected to install EternaBond over the now exposed membrane and this also helped cover the four screw holes from the previous factory vent.

This was my first install of EternaBond and it seems like I may have trapped some air causing some air pockets. Since I sealed everything with Alpha self-leveling sealant I'm pretty confident with the weather proofing and sealant job, I think.

Are there any other methods to remove existing sealant and perhaps with minimal disturbance of the membrane or did I do OK here? As for the air pocket, if any, that EternaBond is some pretty sticky stuff! As can be seen, slipping the EternaBond over the vent pipe I perhaps should have tried to work the material from center out but by the time it went down, it was pretty much a done deal.

I will be installing a Maxxfan system soon and that is going to be much more involved than this simple little learning curve project and want to make sure I'm doing the best I can. Any pointers or advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files
    Grand Design Imagine 2450RL 2020 born 7/2019
    TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

Originally posted by BobinICT View Post
    I installed a Cyclone vent for the black tank yesterday. It was about 70 degrees out. In carefully removing the sealant I ended up supporting the membrane with a putty knife and using another putty knife between the supporting knife and sealant. I'm no overly concerned but, the membrane did pull up some even with being supported causing some bubbling. I elected to install EternaBond over the now exposed membrane and this also helped cover the four screw holes from the previous factory vent.

This was my first install of EternaBond and it seems like I may have trapped some air causing some air pockets. Since I sealed everything with Alpha self-leveling sealant I'm pretty confident with the weather proofing and sealant job, I think.

Are there any other methods to remove existing sealant and perhaps with minimal disturbance of the membrane or did I do OK here? As for the air pocket, if any, that EternaBond is some pretty sticky stuff! As can be seen, slipping the EternaBond over the vent pipe I perhaps should have tried to work the material from center out but by the time it went down, it was pretty much a done deal.

I will be installing a Maxxfan system soon and that is going to be much more involved than this simple little learning curve project and want to make sure I'm doing the best I can. Any pointers or advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    I don't have any suggestions as I've never messed with the roof, but your job looks pretty solid to me. I'm following the thread in case I add these items.
    2121 Momentum 31G towed by 2017 Ford F-250 SuperDuty / Gale Banks

Comment

BobinICT One trick I have used in roof patching is to slice the sticky protector, get everything aligned, then pull the backing off.

Your patch looks very good. I did a couple of patches on my roofs over the years (2 other units) with various methods, It seem the white slick surface is longer than the gooey back and always ends up looking like its got a bubble in it somewhere. The key to the patch it the self leveling sealer. I had a tree brach fall and punch a hole in one of my slides in the rain (what an awakening to hear water hitting the table). Had to "H" cut the roof membrane so I could patch the broken decking. I think the self leveling sealer would have been just as good on the patch as using the tape.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
      X