No announcement yet.

Vent covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure how your skylight is but ours has the typical bubble then inside has another flat rough defuse lens.
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
    Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
      Too bad they don't make one for the skylight. The 2nd ac is there just to counter the skylight heat around here.
      At the risk of taking this thread OT...but my over-active imagination has kicked into overdrive...or the Good Idea Fairy is loose again...

How about a "shade" over top of the skylight? Think of something analogous to a solar panel but replace the solar cells with a translucent, UV-blocking and weather-resistant material. The skylight should stay much cooler, light will still enter, and there's no danger of heat buildup (the bad side effect of trying to block the skylight from the interior). The solar panels stay on the roof, so why shouldn't this "shade" if secured with screws?

This should be very easy to make out aluminum and possibly I could use the mounting holes for the skylight so no new holes in the roof. Hmmm...might give this a go. (Just what I need, another "To Do" on my list...<sigh>)

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson Howard, I think the protrusion of the existing cover will hinder the efforts. It's not quite as close to the roof as one would hope. That is an interesting theory though. Like I mentioned, simply laying tint onto the textured (yes it looked funny on the inside) inside lens (roof top lens is clear and you can see how they "cut" the membrane for the penetration) cut the heat generation in the shower / bathroom extensively.

They do make an insulator for the rectangular ones now.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
          Dennis66 Dennis, I did not notice much difference in temperatures with the dark vs white covers. I had both on our first TT. I think its more about eliminating the first round of UV light. I can tell you that the shower skylight generates more heat than you would think, I think it generates more heat than both of the other vents combined. In our 1st 5er the shower skylight alone would negate the front AC.

I'll know more after this weekend about the smoke covered sunroof cover. May still need to put a layer of tint on it to reduce the heat.

Something like this. https://www.amazon.com/ICON-12120-RV...839140&sr=8-40
          Our OEM smoke shower skylight has not been an issue with heat.

Jim

Comment

What type vent cover do I need in the kitchen, the one with the power vent?
            2021 Reflection 303RLS
            Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis66 View Post
              What type vent cover do I need in the kitchen, the one with the power vent?
              The Maxxair II vent cover is the largest and best fit. https://www.airxcel.com/rv/maxxair/p...vers/maxxair-2 The open vent will still come up against the underside of the cover but Maxxair says that this is OK (and this does not seem to cause any problems for us)

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

So with it hitting the cover causes no alarm for putting stress on the motor?
                2021 Reflection 303RLS
                Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

I guess Ill just order 3 of them
                  2021 Reflection 303RLS
                  Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

So with it hitting the cover causes no alarm for putting stress on the motor?
                    There is no cover (that I have seen) that will completely clear a fully open MaxxAir vent. There are various discussions about the contact between the two and no one has reported a problem. They are both Maxxair products and are designed for each other according to Maxxair. The vent motor stops when it encounters resistance, so this seems to work. (Agreed that the "interference by design" seems a little odd)

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

super thanks
                      2021 Reflection 303RLS
                      Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

At the risk of taking this thread OT...but my over-active imagination has kicked into overdrive...or the Good Idea Fairy is loose again...

How about a "shade" over top of the skylight? Think of something analogous to a solar panel but replace the solar cells with a translucent, UV-blocking and weather-resistant material. The skylight should stay much cooler, light will still enter, and there's no danger of heat buildup (the bad side effect of trying to block the skylight from the interior). The solar panels stay on the roof, so why shouldn't this "shade" if secured with screws?

This should be very easy to make out aluminum and possibly I could use the mounting holes for the skylight so no new holes in the roof. Hmmm...might give this a go. (Just what I need, another "To Do" on my list...<sigh>)
                        Howard,

Will the smoke skylight from the Imagine fit the opening of models with the clear skylight?

Jim

Comment

Finally decided on 3 smoke Maxxair 11 vent covers, cant find them anywhere, all back ordered or out of stock and the ones I did find want over $100 bucks
                          2021 Reflection 303RLS
                          Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Finally decided on 3 smoke Maxxair 11 vent covers, cant find them anywhere, all back ordered or out of stock and the ones I did find want over $100 bucks
                            They look sharp when new but will dull at around 5 years in northern weather and with a cover on in the winter months. No abrasion from the cover.

I just moved to white to try and brighten up the older Imagine with dark interior.

Jim

Comment

Dennis66 Dennis, I'm in Houston and the white ones let plenty of light in, but not the heat. I can send pics of the one that is installed over the kitchen, about to install the one over the bathroom. Need to get it installed before we leave Thursday.

No the vent cover hitting the shade cover does not create any issues. If you open the vent and listen to the motor load up at full open vs when it runs into the shade cover, its the same sound. I thought it quite strange myself that it was designed to run into the cover.
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

wife wants the black smoke ones, may have to get white being the black are all sold out
                                2021 Reflection 303RLS
                                Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Working...
                                X