Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Awning Groaning When Moving (CRC Power Lube to the Rescue!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awning Groaning When Moving (CRC Power Lube to the Rescue!)

Both of the Dometic awnings on my 315RLTS groaned during deployment and retraction. Thought I'd jot down what I learned during my search for answers how to address the problem.

First thing I did was identify the awnings and look for the manuals.

The awnings are the Dometic 8952 series. The sticker was inside of a rail.

Click image for larger version  Name:	8952.JPG Views:	0 Size:	45.6 KB ID:	57727

Took me a bit to figure out, but the manual is the Dometic 9100, Hardware 8952(XXX), FRTA 91(XXX)(YY) version since my awning is a 8952xx3.xx (earlier manual is for xx1 and xx2 models). Manuals for Dometic Awnings are here: https://documents.dometic.com/search...y=Power+Awning

Click image for larger version  Name:	8952 manual.JPG Views:	0 Size:	63.8 KB ID:	57726
    The "FRTA" is the actual roller assembly which has it's own sticker. As you can see the FRTA on my awning is a 91 series (look at the MFG No.).

Click image for larger version  Name:	FRTA.JPG Views:	0 Size:	33.7 KB ID:	57729

Unfortunately nothing in the manual addresses ongoing maintenance, so I hit every bushing and pivot with good ol' CRC Power Lube. Now everything is smooth and quiet during operation. One more thing to add to my regular maintenance routine...

Click image for larger version  Name:	CRC.JPG Views:	0 Size:	30.6 KB ID:	57728
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

howson

I just bought some of this for the stabilizer jacks....I will try it on my awning and see how it works....mine too groans when moving. Thanks for the tip.
    2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

howson Howard, I just lubricated all the points on mine, but I think it's actually the gas cylinders that were making the noise. The seals seem to be tight as they get closer to compressed. I cleaned and silicone lubricated the chrome shafts on the gas cylinders as they were a bit dirty with some grime. Who knows where from since the unit is less than 6 months old.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
      X