Roof coming off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof coming off

Went on a trip this last weekend and when we got back we noticed the roof was trying to blow off.
    why? No holes, tears or any damage that I can see.
    Repair options?
    how to get it back under the nose cap?
    ​​​​​​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	20210723_150224.jpg
Views:	947
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	61407
    Josh & Cameo
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2012 GMC 2500 Duramax, Anderson 3200

Originally posted by BarberArias View Post
    Repair options?​​​​​​​
    colan can address this one?

BarberArias -- consider giving Grand Design Customer Service a call and asking for their advice and if this is covered under their roof or structure warranty.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I'll call GD on Monday but unfortunately we leave this week to drive across the country to drop off my daughter at college. Unfortunately the local GD service shop here in town can't even look at it till October. So... looks like I'm fixing it myself.

I pulled al the sealant off yesterday and removed all the screws from the top of the cap. Can't believe what I found!! Every screw except for 1 was broken. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210725_091310.jpg
Views:	938
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	61477
      Josh & Cameo
      2019 Reflection 31MB

Comment

The rust on the threads of the one "good" screw suggests water /moisture penetration. Frustrating.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

I guess now we have to see if it holds. It definitely still has some wrinkles but we will see.

-Removed trim
          -tried to get the roof back as tight as possible
          -trimed excess material
          -put 4" eternal bond tape down
          -put metal trim back on plus added a second metal trim directly behind first.
          -put eternal bond tape over trim pieces
          -put self leveling sealant on roof edge of eternal bond (to help run off water better)

Cross your fingers, we leave in just over a week for a 1 month 6k mile trip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210725_120712.jpg
Views:	1124
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	61507
          Josh & Cameo
          2019 Reflection 31MB

Comment

BarberArias -- nice work, Josh! Probably better than OEM original.

Comment

BarberArias Great job, I think that looks better than OE on our 2021!
              2022 Momentum 397THS-R 12/3/2021
              Traded 2021 Reflection 337
              2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW
              Formerly M&K337

Comment

I guess now we have to see if it holds. It definitely still has some wrinkles but we will see.

-Removed trim
                -tried to get the roof back as tight as possible
                -trimed excess material
                -put 4" eternal bond tape down
                -put metal trim back on plus added a second metal trim directly behind first.
                -put eternal bond tape over trim pieces
                -put self leveling sealant on roof edge of eternal bond (to help run off water better)

Cross your fingers, we leave in just over a week for a 1 month 6k mile trip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210725_120712.jpg
Views:	1124
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	61507
                Fantastic repair job. I doubt a dealer would have done work of this quality.

Do you feel the roofing material was not far enough under the original metal trim piece? I have thought that adding a second metal trim piece, such as you did, would be a good preventive project. That, plus good lap sealant or Eternabond tape should hold the roof forever as well as prevent leaks at the front cap.

Again, it's a shame that a trailer would leave the manufacturer with this kind of workmanship.

2020 Reflection 273MK
                2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post

Do you feel the roofing material was not far enough under the original metal trim piece? I have thought that adding a second metal trim piece, such as you did, would be a good preventive project. That, plus good lap sealant or Eternabond tape should hold the roof forever as well as prevent leaks at the front cap.
                  I added the second strip primarily because I couldn't get the membrane back under the nose cap. I think the reason It fail was because all the screws holding the original trim failed. So hopefully with everything I have done it give me better hold.
                  Josh & Cameo
                  2019 Reflection 31MB

Comment

I don't think the screws failed until you backed them out. We use a lot of screws in my profession and they most likely were "set" and broke when they were backed out. Cheap screws though.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Erkelens View Post
                      I don't think the screws failed until you backed them out. We use a lot of screws in my profession and they most likely were "set" and broke when they were backed out. Cheap screws though.
                      Although I wish you were right but most of them came off as I took the dicor off, others I removed with my fingers.
                      Josh & Cameo
                      2019 Reflection 31MB

Comment

Although I wish you were right but most of them came off as I took the dicor off, others I removed with my fingers.
                        That's pretty bad. Wow!
                        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

You however have a future as a mobile RV guy if you are so inclined...
                          Nice looking repair job!
                          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

A friend and I both have 2018 Reflection 303s. We just discovered both of our rigs have the same roof problem as shown in this thread. So far this year I've had a broken spring hanger and now this. I bought this GD product because it's supposed to be "a notch above". Sure glad I didn't buy a lesser product. LOL.
                            When not camping, both of our rigs are stored in covered parking. Hard to blame sun and weather for this problem.
                            Naturally, the warranty expired a few months ago. Funny how that works.
                            I'm going to try the repair as shown in this thread. Any secret to removing the old sealant?
                            Thanks, Paul

Comment

Rust on the broken faces of the screws means they have been broken for awhile. Possibly over torqued & cracked at the factory. Or not sealed and water corroded the screws where they meet the wood or AL structure, and broke later.
                              Doug & Barb
                              2020 Solitude 377MBS-R
                              2013 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew SB, 2WD, 3.5 EB, Stock Suspension & Michelin Tires
                              No, we don’t pull the Solitude, it’s permanently parked on our campsite in SW Fla.
                              Previous: Keystone Premier 31BHPR w/Equalizer 1200 WD Hitch

Comment

Working...
                              X