Rear Bumper Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Bumper Mod

Hey all...... I need to somehow fabricate the rear bumper to accommodate and eBike rack and two eBikes. Has anyone modified their rear bumper somehow to handle a load of just shy of 200 lbs.? We have a 2021 GD Transcend Xplor 240ML. It would be nice if the spare could stay there as well, but I can work something out for that if need be. When I look under the rear, there's not much to work with due to the underbelly being completely closed in. There's two small rectangle hollow tubes there now and that's where they've welded the rear bumper to. I'm wondering if those could be beefed up and then either replace the thin bumper with heavier steel or ??? Also, I'm not a welder but know a good one, if anyone has done any welding around that area, is there anything other than the obvious that we should be aware of prior to welding or cutting under there? I appreciate any feedback I can get......thanking you all in advance.
    Jeff

Originally posted by Schnauzers4Life View Post
    Hey all...... I need to somehow fabricate the rear bumper to accommodate and eBike rack and two eBikes. Has anyone modified their rear bumper somehow to handle a load of just shy of 200 lbs.? We have a 2021 GD Transcend Xplor 240ML. It would be nice if the spare could stay there as well, but I can work something out for that if need be. When I look under the rear, there's not much to work with due to the underbelly being completely closed in. There's two small rectangle hollow tubes there now and that's where they've welded the rear bumper to. I'm wondering if those could be beefed up and then either replace the thin bumper with heavier steel or ??? Also, I'm not a welder but know a good one, if anyone has done any welding around that area, is there anything other than the obvious that we should be aware of prior to welding or cutting under there? I appreciate any feedback I can get......thanking you all in advance.
    Jeff
    Jeff,
    Welcome to the forum. For more about how to navigate and extract info from this place, check out the Welcome Letter to New Members: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Your question has been discussed (at length) numerous times. Short answer: no. Long answer, enter this into google: bike rack bumper site:gdrvowners.com and then be prepared to click on a lot of links with lots of information (and opinions).

I'm also going to move this thread to the "Exterior" channel.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks Howard, appreciate your response. I was afraid of that......maybe it's just going back to the box of the truck then. And, thanks for the link and moving my thread. I'll read the new members letter too.....
      Jeff

Comment

I cut my bumper off and installed a frame mount receiver hitch.
        John & Kathy
        2014 Reflection 303RLS
        2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Working...
        X