Cargo Doors Leaking cargo floor rotted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cargo Doors Leaking cargo floor rotted

I have a 2016 solitude 377MB. Has anyone had problems with the front cargo doors leaking. My unit was outside for a while after I moved into a new house. I went to load some stuff in the cargo area and found soft spots in the floor. When I remove the vinyl flooring the OSB floor was wet and rotting. My service company in the area said the door seals were probably leaking. The OSB flooring is wrapped on the underside with a vinyl type membrane that I assume is to keep water from damaging it from underneath. The water evidently got in under the vinyl flooring and was trapped between the vinyl floor in the membrane. This is a major deal has most of the floor will have to be replaced. My unit is over three years old so there is no warranty left that I know of. I have talk toGrand design and they are looking into supplying some parts. Any comments would be welcomed.

William, sorry to tell you that your report of a leaking cargo door is not unique to you.

On the day we first "met" our Solitude the dealer power-washed it prior to our arrival and I found a cup or two of water inside the cargo bay. We reported that to the dealer and they later claimed they repaired it but it happens if I'm incautious when power-washing it myself. I usually check the cargo bay after travels in rain and have found water only a couple of times, but continue checking. People on another forum have also reported leaking issues, and the solution sometimes involves brute-force re-shaping of the frame around the bottom of the door and/or additional sealant strips.

You could attempt to get support from Grand Design for the repair. There have been occasional reports of them not being rigid about recently-expired warranty terms. Worth a try.

Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

I'm at Grand Design right now. I'll discuss this with them and get their thoughts.
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

On mine it was the latch catches on the bottom frame leaking. Direct route in for water. Take them apart, adjust gasket and seal up with silicone. I sealed up the frame screws too. No more leaking.
        Jim (& Sharon)
        2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
        2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
        The toys:
        2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
        2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

I did discuss this with GDRV yesterday and they said they see this from time to time. They said that these door areas can be difficult to keep sealed and there are multiple areas that can leak. The perimeter of the frame, door edges, handles, and rubber seals are all suspect areas.

They did suggest that all owners should closely examine the door and window areas during vehicle washing to check for leaks and remedy the situation if a leak is found.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

We had a similar issue with water getting into the storage area after we took delivery. The dealer stated that its a common issue with the LCI doors where the screw heads on the bottom of the frame allow water into the storage compartment, They put a spot of silicone on each screw head and that's the last time we saw water in the storage bay.

Lyle
            Barb, Lyle and the two four-legged kids
            2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
            2018 Ford F350 DRW

Comment

Working...
            X