Bowed Doors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowed Doors

I've seen some posts on FB and one other thread here on this issue and was wondering if anyone else is seeing this on their coach:

We have a 2021 Momentum 397TH and all of the doors are showing some amount of bowing to them. (Photos) The rear entry door, side entertainment door, main entry door, both basement pass-through doors, both LP tank access doors (the worst) and the front generator compartment door are all bowed in a "convex" manner. They are not "inflated" or ballooning, they are bowed. Both the inner and outer skin are "convexed" outward.

The LP doors are by far the worst because they are bowed so much they pop open while traveling. The generator door will open with just a slight tug at the locking latch.

We have a case started with Grand Design and the selling dealer. I guess we'll see what happens.

2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH
    2012 Volvo VNL 730
    "I'd rather die trying to live, than live trying not to die." -Leonard Perry

GDRV-Megan

Please see above.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Av8r3400

Has this been this way since new?

Does this only happen in certain places that you stay? Thinking high humidity here.

Just wondering or trying to narrow down a cause.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Mine was like that. Only one really caused an issue. I took pictures quite similar to what you did. I did what you did calling GD. GD referred it to Lippert. Lippert said it's not an issue, as in they would not send me another (flat) door. I managed to 'massage' some of the bow out of the door so it's better. Not really fixed but good enough for me to live with it.
        FYI, they will want the part number of the door. It's on a sticker on the inside.
        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        2021 303RLS
        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
          Av8r3400

Has this been this way since new?

Does this only happen in certain places that you stay? Thinking high humidity here.

Just wondering or trying to narrow down a cause.

Brian
          We just noticed the issue a couple of weeks ago when we needed to take the coach down to MORryde to have the IS suspension installed.

All of last summer when we used the coach we never noticed this and never had issues with the doors coming open.
          2012 Volvo VNL 730

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
            Mine was like that. Only one really caused an issue. I took pictures quite similar to what you did. I did what you did calling GD. GD referred it to Lippert. Lippert said it's not an issue, as in they would not send me another (flat) door. I managed to 'massage' some of the bow out of the door so it's better. Not really fixed but good enough for me to live with it.
            FYI, they will want the part number of the door. It's on a sticker on the inside.
            How did you "massage" the shape on the doors?
            2012 Volvo VNL 730

Comment

I used a piece of dense foam about 1' square to avoid small indents from my hands pressed in at the center then moved out towards the edges, then back to the middle. Didn't take too much pressure. Doors aren't that strong.
              2021 303RLS

Comment

If the frame is bent then the process suggested by Scott'n'Wendy would work, however I am wondering if the frame is ok and the door panel is what is bowing. It may be that the panel is a little too large for the frame so as it heats or absorbs moisture it is "growing" which will put pressure on the frame which will not give so the only direction the panel can go is an outward bow.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

My frame was fine. Just the centre section convex. So I closed the door and pushed in the convex part like I described. Again, not really fixed, but it's better.
                  2021 303RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Av8r3400 View Post
                    I've seen some posts on FB and one other thread here on this issue and was wondering if anyone else is seeing this on their coach:

We have a 2021 Momentum 397TH and all of the doors are showing some amount of bowing to them. (Photos) The rear entry door, side entertainment door, main entry door, both basement pass-through doors, both LP tank access doors (the worst) and the front generator compartment door are all bowed in a "convex" manner. They are not "inflated" or ballooning, they are bowed. Both the inner and outer skin are "convexed" outward.

The LP doors are by far the worst because they are bowed so much they pop open while traveling. The generator door will open with just a slight tug at the locking latch.

We have a case started with Grand Design and the selling dealer. I guess we'll see what happens.
                    I would recommend continuing to work with our customer service department. You said that you have seen some posts on facebook. Which pages? I have tried to search for this issue and I'm not finding them. Thank you!

Comment

I also have this same issue, not quite as bad as the OP. The basement door and propane door on the street side are bowed out. Its definitely not heat related as mine were fine until recently and its cold here. Its still under the one year warranty so the dealer is working through it now but we'll see what happens.
                      Jim & Heidi
                      2021 Solitude 375RES-r
                      2024 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Megan View Post

I would recommend continuing to work with our customer service department. You said that you have seen some posts on facebook. Which pages? I have tried to search for this issue and I'm not finding them. Thank you!
                        I tried to PM this link to you but you have your messenger blocked.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3798...9669514167328/
                        2012 Volvo VNL 730

Comment

Update:

I have been in contact with the dealer. They requested and I supplied photos of the doors showing the warp/bowing, showing which doors are effected and showing the stickers on the inside of each door (an excellent reason to never "clean" these stickers off. I had been tempted.)

In the Facebook posting from above, the OP said that GD forwarded their claim onto Lippert and they responded that there wasn't a problem (no surprise). GD however sent them new doors anyway as a goodwill gesture. I hope my situation does not come down to the goodwill of GD, but Lippert stand behind their product as they should.

The dealer told me that they are sending my information and photos off to GD for their review. I will post an update as I hear back from them.
                          2012 Volvo VNL 730

Comment

2-28-2022 Update:

My dealer says GD told them that the photos are inconclusive to there being a problem.

After speaking with the dealer for more details, I called back to GD customer service with case and pre-authorization numbers and the name of the rep the dealer has been working with, to question this inconclusive decision. They were unaware of the issue that the doors would not stay latched. This is the cornerstone of the issue, which I have documented, that was why I contacted both the dealer and GD. The rep at GD, who I have been in contact with since the start of this claim, said they would speak with the rep the dealer was speaking with, and get this resubmitted to Lippert noting the door latching issue.

I am now awaiting return communication from either or both GD and the dealer.
                            2012 Volvo VNL 730

Comment

Av8r3400 -- your relentless pursuit of a resolution is an excellent example of what I like to call "patient persistence". Good on ya--look forward to reading the (favorable) result.
                              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                              2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                              X