Fiberglass wall seams - 315RLTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiberglass wall seams - 315RLTS

I couldn't come up with a good way to describe my issue, but as you see in the picture, there is a long raised vertical seam visible just to the left of the window. If you run your hand over it, you can see/feel the seams in the fiberglass sidewall along the stud/frame outline. This is just an example, but these show on all sides of the RV. The fiberglass siding is raised along the seams and shows the faint outline of the wall studs/frame...kind of like bad taping/filling of drywall joints in a conventional home.

I have a 315RLTS that I bought new in July, 2021, and I just don't recall seeing these when I first bought it. If anything, it seems they started to appear when the weather got cold (I'm a full timer).

My question: has anyone ever come across something like this? It does not appear to be delamination, I have no leaks and I don't think this would matter because every side shows this on the trailer.

Appreciate any insight...it may be a non-issue, but I thought I'd ask before contacting GD.
    Attached Files

Visible outlines of the aluminum framing is not unusual as the weather changes or even more permanently on older trailers, but you should not be able to feel these lines as you describe. You should probably contact Grand Design Customer Service to register your concerns and get the factory perspective on this. (Please let us know what they say!)

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by glowblue View Post
      I have a 315RLTS that I bought new in July, 2021, and I just don't recall seeing these when I first bought it. If anything, it seems they started to appear when the weather got cold (I'm a full timer).
      The pic below is the "normal" Cate&Rob mentioned (shot is the kitchen slide of my '19 315RLTS).

The "bad tape job" explanation describing your issue (which does NOT appear to be the same as the example below) is a good one--and can be clearly seen in your pics.

Click image for larger version  Name:	lines.JPG Views:	0 Size:	60.6 KB ID:	76587
      Last edited by howson; 02-12-2022, 11:55 AM.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Is the exterior wall panel not one whole piece from end to end?

I did not realize that the wall is made up of "sections" all glued together. Cate&Rob TucsonJim I believe that you both may have seen the wall lamination procedure , Could you add input on if the wall are a single piece or multiple? The "tape seem" has me confused, easily done.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

My '16 Reflection 297RSTS shows seams identical to your photo. They not only show on the main walls, but also the slide outs. I'm trying to remember my visit to the plant where I saw walls being built. My memory says they are all one piece, so I don't think those are tape seams. I believe those lines are actually where the studs provide a rigid backing to the fiberglass. In any case, mine is now 5-1/2 years old, and the lines have never changed or given me a problem. So I really feel these won't give you any problems over the long run, and are perfectly normal.

JIm
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I had a similar situation with my previous 2150RB where the underlying structure was visible through the skin.
            The photo shows an example above the slide. My dealer inspected and said was normal. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0431.jpeg
Views:	917
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	76629
            Mike
            Mike & Sonya
            2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
            Blue Ox SwayPro
            2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
              Is the exterior wall panel not one whole piece from end to end?

I did not realize that the wall is made up of "sections" all glued together. Cate&Rob TucsonJim I believe that you both may have seen the wall lamination procedure , Could you add input on if the wall are a single piece or multiple? The "tape seem" has me confused, easily done.

Brian
              The exterior surface of the sidewall is a continuous sheet of fibreglass. The luan ply under this top layer is made up of several panels and the seams between these panels are likely what is showing through the outer surface. I do have detailed knowledge of the sidewall fabrication process, but I believe that Grand Design considered this to be proprietary information, so I am not a liberty to describe in detail here.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob,

Thanks for the input, I hope to see this process someday.

So it appears that what we are seeing in the OP's picture is indeed the seam between the 2 sheets of the Luan material and not a seam in the fiberglass coating, understanding this now.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by NoPeeking View Post
                  I had a similar situation with my previous 2150RB where the underlying structure was visible through the skin.
                  The photo shows an example above the slide. My dealer inspected and said was normal. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0431.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	64.0 KB ID:	76629
                  Mike
                  I also see this example in my rig. This is the area where the luan panels are butt jointed together. Fiberglass/Epoxy reinforcement on the back side of the luan would help to stabilize this area in production since there is so little height to the panel in this area.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                    My '16 Reflection 297RSTS shows seams identical to your photo. They not only show on the main walls, but also the slide outs. I'm trying to remember my visit to the plant where I saw walls being built. My memory says they are all one piece, so I don't think those are tape seams. I believe those lines are actually where the studs provide a rigid backing to the fiberglass. In any case, mine is now 5-1/2 years old, and the lines have never changed or given me a problem. So I really feel these won't give you any problems over the long run, and are perfectly normal.

JIm
                    My 2019 297RSTS has the same seems as well and it has not been an issue either yet.

Rob
                    Rob & Barb
                    2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
                    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

When we had our side walls replaced in the spring of 2018, the trailer with the walls (all one piece for each sided and covered up) for our 303 was parked just outside the "shop" and the RV lot. The cutouts for the slide outs became the outside walls for the slide outs as well. The outstanding Valerie from Customer Service kept me informed of the process.

As a result, we got new slide out walls as well to ensure a "match" with the new exterior walls. Now I do not know if this is normal or not but possibly since our 303 was one of the original builds possibly color/fading/composition may have been different. this said, it does make sense to use these cutouts for the slide walls as well for not only what I shared but possibly sizing as well.

Dan
                      Dan & Carol
                      2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                      2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Not going to lie, I am glad to read these posts by others saying they have this too and that it's normal, since I too have a couple of visible joints like ​this on our trailer. For example, above one of our bunk windows, I can see a joint just like the one shown by NoPeeking.
                        2019 Imagine 2400BH
                        2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Thanks to all for the insight and feedback howson Cate&Rob Guest Calbar

It appears its not unusual and after reading the posts, I agree, I think its probably the substrate panel seams showing through since the fiberglass is one piece and not shadowing from the frame/studs (which I see when dew forms on the outside during cold mornings). I am a DIYer and the "drywall tape job" analogy comes from my DIY attempts at hanging and finishing drywall! Like I said, its uniform through all fiberglass sides on my Rig, which convinces me its just normal.

Comment

Working...
                          X