Cam Locks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam Locks

So most factory cam locks use the same key.
    What i would like to do i replace mine so we are the only ones with the key.
    Has anyone change the cam locks on a 2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 17MKE ?
    If so can you send the link as to where you bought them.
    or if you know exactly how to measure these so I can do it.
    Thanks

Several people have used https://www.rvlocksandmore.com/CLB-Cam-Lock-Barrel (browse the site) as a source for replacement locks.

Most companies use the 750 series of keys for RV, and 250 series of keys for say truck tool boxes. (from my personal experiences),

Not the black sleeve over the threads should be retained and used in the door to prevent over tightening of the lock crushing the door.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Hi Peter,

This is something that many of us have done. If you contact RVLocks https://www.rvlocksandmore.com/CLB-Cam-Lock-Barrel details on the latches you want to replace and the 3 digit code stamped on your entry door lock, they will be able to provide baggage compartment locks keyed to match your entry door key.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I've always been interested in replacing the cam locks on my storage doors, but I'm not sure this is going to offer any significant safety. Regardless of the lock it would sure be easy for a thief to use a crowbar to get the door open. Then you have the very expensive cost of getting a new door. I guess I've been pretty fortunate through the years not to have anything taken from my trailer.

Of course, as they say, locks only keep honest folks honest. However, we are seeing a lot more dishonest out there it seems.
        2020 Reflection 273MK
        2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Thanks for some quick responses I will have a look later today.

Comment

So we have a 22MLE now but have used the combi-cam on all our trailers. It is great not having to worry about keys. Here is the one we used and it perfectly!
            The Combi-Cam Combination RV Compartment Lock is a secure solid metal cam lock with up to 1,000 possible combinations. Best of all, unlike the competition, the combination is easy to change with no special tools or kits required.
            2018 GMC HD Denali Duramax
            2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
            Reese Dual-Cam straight-line hitch

Comment

And just to relate a recent experience. I replaced my door lock and storage compartment locks with ones from rvlocks so they wouldn't have the "key to the world" issue. When I picked my coach up from service at the dealer, I was surprised to find my straps and plastic bins I used to cover my broken skylights, had been tucked neatly away in my front passthru which II know was locked when I left the coach with them.

So either the new locks still have master keys that work, OR (more likely), they just slid something thin between the door and frame to slide the latch open. So unless you want to put on some other kind of barrel lock or hasp, it's only keeping honest people out as mentioned.
              Terry and Patty (Dogs-Sophie and Tessa)
              2020 Reflection 297RSTS - bought Oct 2019
              2021 F350 crew cab, SRW, 6.7L diesel, 14K equal-i-zer hitch

Comment

trkester

RV Dealers (and who knows who else?) definitely have master keys for these locks.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by bridgway View Post
                  So we have a 22MLE now but have used the combi-cam on all our trailers. It is great not having to worry about keys. Here is the one we used and it perfectly!
                  Well this looks like a great idea.
                  you never need your keys.
                  we will have a look at these as well.
                  Thanks for everyone's input.

Comment

I think the locks from rv locks and more only have a few different keys, maybe 5 if I remember. I have those which I changed at a Rally and had them pick the key that would match the entrance door key so I only need one key to use on the trailer instead of 3, ours had the cam locks and also the slam latches which I also replaced to use the same key. I agree that locks only keep honest people out and me when I forget the keys.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

RV Locks can match about 100 RV entry door locks. See the chart on the first page of the link above. If the 3 digit number on your entry lock is one of those numbers they can match it. If not, you would probably have to change the entry lock id you wanted everything to be the same.

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Peter Dianne -- another option (though admittedly a lot more work): https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...e-baggage-door

I like the wireless / keyless option--all of my exterior baggage doors unlock with one push of a button. The main entry door is separate, though still wireless.
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Sorry to say, but keyed cam locks are only as secure as a simple screwdriver. May not defeat the lock cylinder itself, but more than likely the entire mechanism turns in the opening drilled in the doorway.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Great Info so for....
                            What I'm gathering is change my locks to a Shot Gun...lol

Comment

Be careful, that's considered entrapment and not exactly legal. However it is legal in some places to defend your home or extension of your home (AKA vehicle storage building, etc.) with a shotgun as long as it's wielded by a human.

And in most places only the driver can wielded the defensive projectile launcher.
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X