Awning Cradle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awning Cradle

Another person's freestanding canopy hit my new trailer and caused damage. Quite a bit actually. But, that's another story.

One of the things that broke is the awning cradle was pulled out. I tried to screw it back in, but it just pulls out.

I can't wait for insurance and dealer to fix so I need to fix it myself. Does anyone know what is behind the fibreglass where this screws into? If it's a block of wood I can either get a wider screw or glue in a dowel, redrill and use the existing screw. I like the dowel method better as I don't have to drill out the metal cradle to fit a bigger screw. But, either way, this only works if there is wood back there.

Anyone know? It's at the storage facility so I can't check it out right now, and not sure I'd be able to tell anyway.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about. Note the top screw.

Thanks in advance.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20220316_144200.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	80103

2022 Ford F250 XLT FX4
    2022 Imagine 2670MK

Lhinaz71 -- behind it is EGS, or Electro-Galvinized Steel. GD embeds strips of the metal wherever reinforcement is needed.

I just went through a similar situation but mine was self-induced. I went up one size screw and used stainless. (The original was 1/4 so went to 5/16.) Others have used other methods. Check out https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...ling-an-awning and also the link to the Roof Gutter Inspection thread as there is conversation related to what you're working on.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Lhinaz71 View Post
      Another person's freestanding canopy hit my new trailer and caused damage. Quite a bit actually. But, that's another story.

One of the things that broke is the awning cradle was pulled out. I tried to screw it back in, but it just pulls out.

I can't wait for insurance and dealer to fix so I need to fix it myself. Does anyone know what is behind the fibreglass where this screws into? If it's a block of wood I can either get a wider screw or glue in a dowel, redrill and use the existing screw. I like the dowel method better as I don't have to drill out the metal cradle to fit a bigger screw. But, either way, this only works if there is wood back there.

Anyone know? It's at the storage facility so I can't check it out right now, and not sure I'd be able to tell anyway.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about. Note the top screw.

Thanks in advance.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20220316_144200.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	80103
      There SHOULD be an aluminum stud with a wood core inside to screw into. Try a larger diameter screw. If it doesn't work I'm deleting this post
      Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Thank you both.
        2022 Ford F250 XLT FX4
        2022 Imagine 2670MK

Comment

Just to post an update. I went and fixed it today. There's no stud behind it. The fiberglass sandwich (for lack of a better term - maybe includes the EGS if that's part of the sandwich) is about 3/8 inch thick by my estimate. Behind that is white foam.

I had to go up 2 screw sizes to a 3/8 inch screw. All good now.
          2022 Ford F250 XLT FX4
          2022 Imagine 2670MK

Comment

Working...
          X