Reinstalling an Awning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reinstalling an Awning

This post is a spin-off from the Roof Gutter Inspection Results (It's Ugly) thread. After inadvertantly {clears throat} "removing" the main awning (a Dometic 9100 Powered Awning) during the inspection process (documented in post 9) I was favored with the task of reinstalling it. This thread's posts will attempt to document what I did, why I did it, what I learned in the process, and what I used to accomplish the task.

An acknowledgement to several members is due first for the parts of this task that went right as their insights and previous posts on similar issues was extremely helpful. So to Yoda , Cate&Rob , Guest , Country Campers and many others that I've probably left out (not intentional--sorry!): thank you. All the screw-ups are due to my negligence and can be traced to a single oversight: I didn't RTFM. (RTFM in polite company means Read the Freakin' Manual.)
    • Bear with me as I go through the issues--they aren't necessarily in chronological order and will sometimes show the end result before other issues have been mentioned.
    ATTACHMENT HARDWARE
    First issue I dealt with was what hardware to use to reattach the arms to the camper. The left side railing was 3/4 yanked out of the camper and almost all of the #14 x-10 x 1 1/2" screws used to hold the arms to the camper showed evidence of water intrusion, thus the wall material where the holes were in the camper sidewall was considered compromised. (#14 is a 1/4" screw.)

After reading and researching the topic extensively, I decided to go up one screw size from #14 to 5/16", but not quite as long (1" stainless steel). For a washer I chose a thin plastic spacer that was no wider than the bolt's head. The 5/16" bolt had nearly the exact same head width dimension as the original since it had a larger head for the screw size. Bottom line: new bolts fit fine. The picture below shows the original screw and the new 5/16" bolts installed in the arms.
    • During the research process I learned a lot about bolts sizes and why it so confusing when looking at sizes (other than metric which is easy). Absolutely the best resource I found is boltdepot.com. They have fantastic, downloadable PDFs and the website is exceptionally informative. Well worth your time to investigate.

To be transparent, 2 of the 16 bolts (one of each leg) did not snug up as desired, but overall the awning is much more secure than it was previously. I used black butyl tape on the entire back of both arms (pic shows me I need to clean up the edges!). The bolt heads are going to get sealed with silicone.

AWNING MATERIAL RAIL
    The next issue I wrestled with was how to get the awning material reinstalled in the gutter's awning rail. What the reader has to understand is the awning rail is incorporated right into the gutter rail--they are one piece. On the 315RLTS, the only way I could see to get the material on (or off) the gutter's awning rail was by removing the rear gutter from the camper. (The gutters are two 15' pieces that form one continuous gutter the length of the trailer and are capped with rain drip spouts) I didn't want to remove the newly installed rear gutter to do that.

Easy servicing of the awning in the future was also desirable.

I decided to add a awning rail below the gutter and was lucky to find a piece of awning rail with the perfect color at a local RV parts store. The rail is installed flush against the bottom of the gutter rail, so there is a slight loss of slope when the awning is deployed. (In other words water will not run off as quickly due to having less slope.)

Installation Process
    The awning arms were going back in exact same place they were before--I didn't want any extra holes in the side of the camper and definitely did not want gaps between the top of the arm and the bottom of the gutter. (The arms were installed flush against the gutter by GD.)

The installation manual shows the correct procedure for installing the awning's arms and material in the rail.

I didn't want to do it the manual's way to ensure the awning arm bolts went into the original holes. Installing the arms separate from the roller was the solution. Not easy, but doable.

So left arm went up first, FRTA (with a neighbor's help) was then slid through the material. The left side of the FRTA was inserted into the arm and the right (motor) side was held up with a ladder. Then the right side arm was installed and the FRTA was secured to it. (Sure sounds easy typing it out...)

To keep the arm assembly from springing out to full length (something I'd already learned it will do!) all it took was a few zip ties. Slight deviation from the manual but since the entire back of the arm was covered with butyl their method didn't work. What I did below worked.

Other Musings
    • The warning in the manual about putting the awning on something to protect the fabric from damage? It's a really good warning. Leaving the awning on concrete overnight (and having it subjected to a thunderstorm) is not a good plan. Yes, the material is exceptionally and surprisingly fragile (especially after a few years of exposure to the summer sun). Black Gorilla Tape to the rescue until I get the fabric replaced (probably next year).
    • The warning in the manual about the rapid casting spin off when the FRTA is removed from the arm? Uh...that's a good one to note. Oh, and not that I know this {clears throat again} but if you rewind the FRTA spring counter-clockwise that awning will deploy faster than you ever imagined. Getting it to retract, though (without blowing a fuse) is a bit difficult. Winding the left end of the FRTA assembly clockwise to restore the factory tension is the better plan. Awning works a whole lot better with the spring tension in the correct orientation.
    • With the wiring apart quick-disconnects were added to the LED lighting and to the camper end of the awning's wiring. There's an OEM provided SAE connector at the motor head, and now there's another SAE connector on the camper's wiring where it exist the wall.

Conclusion
    Something Dumb, DIfferent or Dangerous: an old boss used to say every accident can be traced back to one of them. I hit the trifecta with this project but was lucky enough to stay out of the ER. Learned more than I really wanted to know about awnings.

Hope this helps someone else avoid my mistakes.

Howard
    Attached Files
    Last edited by howson; 03-17-2022, 08:45 PM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Glad you got it together. We had to replace an awning arm and lost the casting in the process. About took my father in laws hand off, and was a bear to get rewound.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Howard, I really enjoy your humor in a not so humorous task. I haven't messed with the awning but know that I will have to at some time since the screws are not holding so well. When GDRV is boxing in every opening of the coach with aluminum or wood framing, why don't they back the awnings with framing??

I didn't realize the awning drum is spring loaded as in the old manually operated old models. I figured the hydraulic closures take care of the intermediate opening pressure and the motor winds up against that pressure during closure. So thank you for the lesson.

Can you post part numbers in where you purchased the bolts and plastic washers? I've looked at the plusnut option and while I think this is a great method, I'm concerned about the small gap they leave between the brackets and the wall.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
        Howard, I really enjoy your humor in a not so humorous task. I haven't messed with the awning but know that I will have to at some time since the screws are not holding so well. When GDRV is boxing in every opening of the coach with aluminum or wood framing, why don't they back the awnings with framing??

I didn't realize the awning drum is spring loaded as in the old manually operated old models. I figured the hydraulic closures take care of the intermediate opening pressure and the motor winds up against that pressure during closure. So thank you for the lesson.

Can you post part numbers in where you purchased the bolts and plastic washers? I've looked at the plusnut option and while I think this is a great method, I'm concerned about the small gap they leave between the brackets and the wall.

Jim
        Yes that is what we assumed as well, found out the hard way it's spring loaded lol.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Here is a video that shows what I was thinking so now I'm confused. Is my Lippert model different?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNmJdtBPJ7k

Update: Here is another video that shows the spring tension in the extended position so care needs to be taken for sure. But since I'm seeing two vastly different methods, I'm back to being confused. LOL. Looks like the spring comes into play when replacing the motor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hk9Iy_DoAE

Jim
          Last edited by Guest; 03-18-2022, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Guest -- next time I'm at Ace Hardware I'll take pics of the hardware. The screw is nothing special -- 5/16" x 1 stainless sheet metal. The washer was found in one of the "special parts bins" that Ace has an abundance of (their selection is fantastic at my local store).

The tension in the roller tube spring effectively counters most of the tension of the hydraulic arms. That's why when the arm is 1/2 extended it can be stopped in that position--otherwise the roller will keep going until fully extended. I suspect all power-driven awnings have a similar setup since without that tension the fabric would droop too much. Without the hydraulics the arms would be susceptible to flopping back and forth.

Bottom line: anyone contemplating working on an awning must read the manual and be aware of any spring tension. It can (and will) bite.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
              Guest -- next time I'm at Ace Hardware I'll take pics of the hardware. The screw is nothing special -- 5/16" x 1 stainless sheet metal. The washer was found in one of the "special parts bins" that Ace has an abundance of (their selection is fantastic at my local store).

The tension in the roller tube spring effectively counters most of the tension of the hydraulic arms. That's why when the arm is 1/2 extended it can be stopped in that position--otherwise the roller will keep going until fully extended. I suspect all power-driven awnings have a similar setup since without that tension the fabric would droop too much. Without the hydraulics the arms would be susceptible to flopping back and forth.

Bottom line: anyone contemplating working on an awning must read the manual and be aware of any spring tension. It can (and will) bite.
              Thanks Howard,

I'm very good at visualizing mechanical systems but I'm still in the learning phase in how this fully functions. Appreciate all the info your providing.

Jim

Comment

I believe I have found the source of my confusion.

I have a solera power awning and I believe that I do not have an internal spring on my model. So the motor controls all the motion against the gas struts alone. Still a great lesson here since my awning is in need of some attention. And I will use the larger screws this time around.

Fabric swaps and motor swaps looks to be easy on the Solera model.

Jim

Comment

That's good to know!

Below are the pics I promised (from Ace Hardware).

Click image for larger version

Name:	hardware.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	79484

Howard & Francine

Comment

I believe I have found the source of my confusion.

I have a solera power awning and I believe that I do not have an internal spring on my model. So the motor controls all the motion against the gas struts alone. Still a great lesson here since my awning is in need of some attention. And I will use the larger screws this time around.

Jim
                    Hi Jim,

I was about to add this same information. I also have a Solera awning and I have replaced the fabric. There is no spring in the fabric drum. Just the winding motor operating against the gas struts on the arms. Which probably explains why Solera awnings bounce more easily in the slightest breeze. .

Rob

Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation Rob.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                      X