Reflection nose chip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reflection nose chip

Took a rock to the nose (ouch) of the reflection. It does not look like it went through all the way. I can see some darker material under the white fiberglass. I think it is still water tight but not sure if it will absorb moisture during the rains of the PNW.

Any experience with repairs?

Tried to upload pics.
    Attached Files
    SATA Adventurers
    Steve and Tina
    2021 Reflection 337RLS
    2024 Chev Silverado 2500HD, Andersen ultimate

The nose cap is molded fibreglass . . . much like a boat. The divot can be filled with either epoxy or fibreglass resin. The difficulty will be matching the surface finish. Is the black in your picture within the fibreglass, or a decal, or paint?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Looks like you will need to seal that hole , gorilla tape or silicone or such until you can get fixed.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        The nose cap is molded fibreglass . . . much like a boat. The divot can be filled with either epoxy or fibreglass resin. The difficulty will be matching the surface finish. Is the black in your picture within the fibreglass, or a decal, or paint?

Rob
        I believe the black is a large decal. Base to the word Reflection and some other stripes.
        SATA Adventurers
        Steve and Tina
        2021 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
          Looks like you will need to seal that hole , gorilla tape or silicone or such until you can get fixed.

Brian
          I was thinking about using some door /window silicone. Didn't know if that would interfere with a repair. ​​​​
          SATA Adventurers
          Steve and Tina
          2021 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Originally posted by SATA Adventures View Post

I was thinking about using some door /window silicone. Didn't know if that would interfere with a repair. ​​​​
            I would definitely stay away from silicone for a temporary repair. This will contaminate the damaged area with something that nothing will stick to . . . making the eventual permanent repair more difficult.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by SATA Adventures View Post

I believe the black is a large decal. Base to the word Reflection and some other stripes.
              This actually makes the final repair easier. The repair does not have to be a colour match if it will be covered with a new decal.

Rob

Cate & Rob
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I think on my 303 the black is paint and the words and other striping is actually decals.

For a temp fix if you have it available, I used eternabond tape with painters tape stuck to the eternabond to cover the chip. This prevents the eternabond from getting into the fiberglass which will lead to a more difficult repair later down the road.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Rob Cate&Rob - years ago when GDRV switched to the black nose (2018 ?) it was in response to Owners asking for a painted nose (like the Solitudes) rather than decals for all kinds of reasons as I recall. Micah Staley agreed and thus the change. There were several threads on this years ago elsewhere. Maybe black painted front caps are no longer being done.

Am I recalling this correctly, Rob......or any other owners who may recall or know ?

Dan
                  Dan & Carol
                  2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                  2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Canyonlight
                    Hi Dan,

Grand Design has gone back-and-forth between paint and decals on the front cap. There may even be some where the colour is within the gelcoat. That's why I was asking the OP which version he has . . . the pictures are not large enough to see. If the dark colour is a decal, this will be easy to tell because he should be able to feel the edge of the decal.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I could feel the edge leading me to believe this was a decal. On top of it there is the word reflection decals and some stripes. I could be wrong but there is an edge.
                      SATA Adventurers
                      Steve and Tina
                      2021 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                        I think on my 303 the black is paint and the words and other striping is actually decals.

For a temp fix if you have it available, I used eternabond tape with painters tape stuck to the eternabond to cover the chip. This prevents the eternabond from getting into the fiberglass which will lead to a more difficult repair later down the road.
                        To be clear, painters tape on top of chip w eternabond on top covering hole covered by painters tape? Redundant enough in my rewording? Lol. Is this the suggestion?
                        SATA Adventurers
                        Steve and Tina
                        2021 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

SATA Adventures Painters tape on the hole UPSIDE down. Glue on tape to glue on eternabond. For simplicity, you could stick painter tape to itself, then use painters tape to hold that over the hole, then Eternabond over the whole thing.

The goal is to keep glue out of the chip. The reverse painters tape or doubled over on itself is used to prevent the both the painters tape glue and eternabond from entering the chip.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                            SATA Adventures Painters tape on the hole UPSIDE down. Glue on tape to glue on eternabond. For simplicity, you could stick painter tape to itself, then use painters tape to hold that over the hole, then Eternabond over the whole thing.

The goal is to keep glue out of the chip. The reverse painters tape or doubled over on itself is used to prevent the both the painters tape glue and eternabond from entering the chip.
                            We were on same page. Thanks for the detailed explanation.
                            SATA Adventurers
                            Steve and Tina
                            2021 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

This is the entire front. Chip is on right side lower corner of the black before it goes vertical if that makes sense. It's pretty small about the size of a 16d nail point.
                              Attached Files
                              SATA Adventurers
                              Steve and Tina
                              2021 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Working...
                              X