Lippert Stay-put Friction Hinge Door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lippert Stay-put Friction Hinge Door

I’ve submitted a request to Lippert asking what is the best product and method of lubricating the Friction Hitch Door. I was under the impression that it requires no lubricants but mine is almost three years old and squeaks terribly. While I wait for their response, I’m asking here what success may have been experienced with this issue since I realize that sometimes end users discover a better solution to a problem than the OEM folks may recommend. TIA.
    Dave and Sue
    2020 GD 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
    Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
    GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
    SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

silicone spray lube
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
    2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toys:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
    2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Originally posted by JCR GD View Post
      silicone spray lube
      Thanks Jim. Have you used the silicone spray you mentioned on yours and if so, did it negatively impact the wind resistant capabilities that were present when the door was new? Pls advise, Tks.
      Dave and Sue
      2020 GD 2250RK
      Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Yes, but my doors are not friction hinge doors. The spray will fix the squeak, I doubt it will affect the friction feature. Maybe try just one hinge to test.
        Jim (& Sharon)
        2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
        2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
        The toys:
        2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
        2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Originally posted by JCR GD View Post
          Yes, but my doors are not friction hinge doors. The spray will fix the squeak, I doubt it will affect the friction feature. Maybe try just one hinge to test.
          I’m led to believe that these doors operate differently than normal doors. I’m pending a response from Lippert now. Thanks Jim.
          Dave and Sue
          2020 GD 2250RK
          Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Originally posted by Schiefswret View Post
            I’ve submitted a request to Lippert asking what is the best product and method of lubricating the Friction Hitch Door. I was under the impression that it requires no lubricants but mine is almost three years old and squeaks terribly. While I wait for their response, I’m asking here what success may have been experienced with this issue since I realize that sometimes end users discover a better solution to a problem than the OEM folks may recommend. TIA.
            See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...=1855#post1855

I've had to lubricate the hinges at least twice since that post. Restores the door to smooth operation and the friction door hinges still provide some resistance (door doesn't slam open or closed with a mild wind blowing).

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
            2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...=1855#post1855

I've had to lubricate the hinges at least twice since that post. Restores the door to smooth operation and the friction door hinges still provide some resistance (door doesn't slam open or closed with a mild wind blowing).

Howard
              Much thanks Jim!!
              Dave and Sue
              2020 GD 2250RK
              Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

I used the green can CRC as recommended by Jim, worked like a champ! Thanks also to all who contributed. When Lippert responds to my email, I’ll post the answer that they gave me.
                Dave and Sue
                2020 GD 2250RK
                Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

My 2022 2500rl rear door locked up in December on my second trip since new. This may have been caused from road salt. Grand Design replaced entire door assembly. I asked dealer if I should lube it and they responded no. The door frame bent from forcing it closed. From what I was told is that the center of the hinge is rubber so oil can swell it, but I am not sure on all this. Note in the picture door is twisted at the top.
                  ???? Imagine 2500RL
                  See Custom 3D Printed Parts on eBay:
                  https://www.ebay.com/usr/frankl48044

Comment

Originally posted by Frank L View Post
                    My 2022 2500rl rear door locked up in December on my second trip since new. This may have been caused from road salt. Grand Design replaced entire door assembly. I asked dealer if I should lube it and they responded no. The door frame bent from forcing it closed. From what I was told is that the center of the hinge is rubber so oil can swell it, but I am not sure on all this. Note in the picture door is twisted at the top.
                    Frank,
                    The PowerLube CRC that I've used is not "oil". I've lubricated the hinges on my door multiple times with PowerCRC with PTFE without any negative result. I'm posting the link again to the post where I show the results in case you missed it earlier: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...-door#post1855

Why did GD say "no" to lubrication? As with many issues related to RVs, there's the who made it and engineer answer and there's the field experience and guy who has to fix it answer. This issue appears to be yet another in a list of similar issues (lubricating Schwintek slides, lubricating and cleaning seals, etc, etc). You'll have to make your own judgment on this particular one, but something tells me that when your door starts drastically resisting movement again (and it will), including loud protesting noises (like what I experienced), you'll have to try something.

As with everything you read on this forum, keep in mind I'm "just a guy on the internet". Do what seems best once you've done your due diligence.

Howard
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Frank,
                      The PowerLube CRC that I've used is not "oil". I've lubricated the hinges on my door multiple times with PowerCRC with PTFE without any negative result. I'm posting the link again to the post where I show the results in case you missed it earlier: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...-door#post1855

Why did GD say "no" to lubrication? As with many issues related to RVs, there's the who made it and engineer answer and there's the field experience and guy who has to fix it answer. This issue appears to be yet another in a list of similar issues (lubricating Schwintek slides, lubricating and cleaning seals, etc, etc). You'll have to make your own judgment on this particular one, but something tells me that when your door starts drastically resisting movement again (and it will), including loud protesting noises (like what I experienced), you'll have to try something.

As with everything you read on this forum, keep in mind I'm "just a guy on the internet". Do what seems best once you've done your due diligence.

Howard
                      Let me clear up my message, GD did not say "no" to lubrication, It was the dealer who replaced the door,. (General RV). I just want to put what I was told out there and not that I agree with them.
                      Thank you
                      ???? Imagine 2500RL
                      See Custom 3D Printed Parts on eBay:
                      https://www.ebay.com/usr/frankl48044

Comment

Found an amazon warehouse deal on these friction hinges from Lippert. Really nice that the door does not swing/slam anymore, but will be watching to see if/when they squeak, and follow the guidance on this thread.

While the instructions said to install 3 screws per hinge flap, I did not see the need, since these hinges are in addition to the ones that carry the door. I just put one screw in each flap for now. One side only has one hole per flap anyway.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1437.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	130079

It's also nice when exiting or entering the rig, to have the door stay half open, where we can use the crossbar on the door as well as the handrail when needed to keep these old bodies stable.

Name:	IMG_1396.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	130080

A full-time RV youtuber called "Why wait?" with the same model 5th wheel I have just put these on his rig, and pointed out that the lower hinge might interfere with the Lippert solid steps when they are retracted. Sure enough, the pan-head screw on one flap rubbed. Changing to a flat-head screw at this location, after countersinking, took care of it. It looks like the step latches can be adjusted inward too, but I did not want to reduce the latch engagement to the doorframe.

Name:	friction hinge screw.png
Views:	112
Size:	809.4 KB
ID:	130081

Simple RV UPGRADE…Might Be Our Favorite Yet! (youtube.com)

This hinge comes in white or black, but my rig is more of a beige. The exterior door trim is more white than beige though, so seems to work color-wise.

Name:	IMG_1457.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	130082
                        Jeff & Janice
                        2019 Solitude 377MBS, 5.5kW Onan, Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, EquaFlex/wetbolts, Triangle TRT01 LRG tires, Splendide W/D, Magnum Energy 3000W inverter/charger, 4-225AH-6V NPP AGM's, Winegard WiFi extender, RV airflow, Progressive Ind HW EMS, Andersen Ultimate Hitch​

Pulled with an upgraded 2001 F350 SRW CC LB Lariat 7.3​

Comment

Working...
                        X