2021 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R

Hello, we are new here and in our Solitude 320GK-R. We have made a few short trips learning how to travel in this beautiful rig in preparation of full retirement this year. Looking forward to traveling and staying around the country. Right now we are hoping to get some help, we had to install the two batteries this weekend and in our haste did not diagram the cable connections, dumb mistake I know however, it would be greatly appreciated if there is someone that could please help us with pictures or diagrams of how the connections should be for the batteries so we can ensure we have connected the cables correctly so we don’t have any future issues or damage to anything I know it was stupid but am now concerned. We have a factory solar charger and inverter system. Thanks for your time and kind assistance.
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R, 2022 Ford 350 Lariat DRW

Originally posted by dwbjkb View Post
    ...it would be greatly appreciated if there is someone that could please help us with pictures or diagrams of how the connections should be...
    Welcome to the forum. Don't worry about documenting a "dumb mistake"--we've all been there, done that.

The statement quoted from the original post implies the new batteries are reconnected to the camper. Is that the case? If so, are there any symptoms (something doesn't work) that prompted the question about proper connections?

If everything is working correctly but there is still a concern, post a picture or two of how the batteries are currently connected and someone here will be able to verify if it's right or not.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you for the quick response! We have installed and connected the new batteries, we have the unit at a storage yard at the moment however, once the new batteries were in, we hooked up and took it for the yearly Texas state inspection and everything at that point seemed fine, We have not opened the slides or anything but as far as I can tell all is working as it should to this point. Attached are pics I took to show how we connected the batteries just for this reason. I’m not very electrically inclined and am kicking myself for not taking reference pics or making a sketch of the connections prior to pulling apart, that is why I feel uncomfortable right now and know better than that. Please let me know if anything else is needed to further clarify the connection. Anyway, here we are. Thanks for the help on this,

Comment

Thank you for the quick response! We have installed and connected the new batteries, we have the unit at a storage yard at the moment however, once the new batteries were in, we hooked up and took it for the yearly Texas state inspection and everything at that point seemed fine, We have not opened the slides or anything but as far as I can tell all is working as it should to this point. Attached are pics I took to show how we connected the batteries just for this reason. I’m not very electrically inclined and am kicking myself for not taking reference pics or making a sketch of the connections prior to pulling apart, that is why I feel uncomfortable right now and know better than that. Please let me know if anything else is needed to further clarify the connection. Anyway, here we are. Thanks for the help on this,
        There's one questionable connection. Not typical to have a red wire attached to the battery negative.

TucsonJim or someone else with a 310GK--please check your setup and help out this owner.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-28 062144.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	132916

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Thank you, I seem to recall it was included in the negative connection as it was red with black stripe and the other was solid red. I tried to keep them in a way, bunched together to help with reconnecting. I was also wondering about the very large red and black cables being connected to one battery, thinking the black cable might go to the second battery and red to first? Does the first battery do most of the work with the second as a helper so to speak. It’s been extremely difficult to find anything I can refer to that looks like this to know it’s correct. Don’t want to fry anything

Comment

Thank you, I seem to recall it was included in the negative connection as it was red with black stripe and the other was solid red. I tried to keep them in a way, bunched together to help with reconnecting. I was also wondering about the very large red and black cables being connected to one battery, thinking the black cable might go to the second battery and red to first? Does the first battery do most of the work with the second as a helper so to speak. It’s been extremely difficult to find anything I can refer to that looks like this to know it’s correct. Don’t want to fry anything
            Those large (4/0 gauge) wires provide 12vDC amperage to the inverter. Look up in the ceiling of the front storage (above the batteries) and you'll see the WFCO 3000W inverter.

Yes, you're spot on that best practice is to split those 4/0 connections across the dual batteries. The snip below is from a Battle Born Battery presentation. The "x load" connections in the diagram, in your case, are the large 4/0 wires going to the WFCO.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-28 064104.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	132919

Howard

Howard & Francine

Comment

So, if I get what you are saying, we should move the one black negative 4/0 cable to back/second battery and leave the red where it is on the first battery then? With that it seems we should be back where it all was originally
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X