Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to RV world, GD and Forum; Imagine 2600RB

Hi,

Michelle and I (Steve) loved RVing so much in July we decided to buy Travel Trailer last week. We are really excited. Bought a 2019 Imagine 2600RB. Plus bought a 2018 Land Cruiser (LC) with All-Terrains, weighs 7300#, to pull trailer and then go off roading for fly fishing and sight seeing.

The Imagine 2600RB is so beautiful and we can't wait to take it on the first road trip in three weeks.

Any advice anyone can provide regarding the following questions would be greatly appreciated. Trying to be safe and prepared.

1) Towing - LC has 8100 lb tow capability. The Imagine is 5700# dry, 6500-7400 loaded. Installing a Curt 17062 Weight Distribution & sway bar unit and Curt Echo bluetooth brake controller.

2) Do we need extra wide mirrors? Recommendation on type? is there a camera system that can be mounted that works like the new Ford or Chevy for virtual 360 viewing?

3) Generator - Thinking of two Honda eu2200i with parallel power cable? Was advised it is easier to manage taking them in and out of storage. Open to other options?

4) Solar panel - Get one? Make and model?

5) Driving to Chicago from Seattle in Nov/Dec. How risky is it if it snows for us, normal versus blizzard of course.

The unit is used and completely empty, what else should I consider buying to be fully prepared or geared up?

Also, your tech support was fantastic when I called to ask some questions.

Thank you, Steve
    Attached Files
    Steve & Michelle
    2019 Grand Design Imagine 2600 RB
    2018 Toyota Land Cruiser 5.8L, Curt WD

Originally posted by Chipmaker View Post
    Hi,

Michelle and I (Steve) loved RVing so much in July we decided to buy Travel Trailer last week. We are really excited. Bought a 2019 Imagine 2600RB. Plus bought a 2018 Land Cruiser (LC) with All-Terrains, weighs 7300#, to pull trailer and then go off roading for fly fishing and sight seeing.

The Imagine 2600RB is so beautiful and we can't wait to take it on the first road trip in three weeks.

Any advice anyone can provide regarding the following questions would be greatly appreciated. Trying to be safe and prepared.

1) Towing - LC has 8100 lb tow capability. The Imagine is 5700# dry, 6500-7400 loaded. Installing a Curt 17062 Weight Distribution & sway bar unit and Curt Echo bluetooth brake controller.

2) Do we need extra wide mirrors? Recommendation on type? is there a camera system that can be mounted that works like the new Ford or Chevy for virtual 360 viewing?

3) Generator - Thinking of two Honda eu2200i with parallel power cable? Was advised it is easier to manage taking them in and out of storage. Open to other options?

5) Driving to Chicago from Seattle in Nov/Dec. How risky is it if it snows for us, normal versus blizzard of course.

The unit is used and completely empty, what else should I consider buying to be fully prepared or geared up?

Thank you, Steve
    Welcome Steve & Michelle! Glad you are enjoying your new Imagine.

You will probably get more responses to your questions if you post each one separately in the appropriate channel. For example, the first question (and probably #2 as well), would go into the 'Towing & Hitches' channel. If you need help figuring this out, you can read our 'Welcome Letter' to new members here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members. Also feel free to reach out to one of the moderators for help posting.

Again, welcome to the Forum.
    Andi
    Brookings SD
    2018 Reflection 337RLS
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax

Comment

Chipmaker

I'll let others chime in as they see fit. I'm a newb myself; I'll be picking up my Imagine TT this weekend. I've done an excessive amount of research and planning--borderline obsessive.

Even though I don't have my rig yet, I can speak to one thing I learned about towing capacities (I will be towing with a F-150), is that it's usually not the trailer towing capacity that gets you, rather the cargo carrying capacity. You mentioned a couple of generators and solar as well as the off-road capability of your TV, so I'm guessing you're not planning on staying at as many full-service RV parks, so you're probably going to have some tank contents when hauling. So I would lean a little heavier on your weight calcs.
      If you factor the full 7400 lbs * 11% as tongue weight, you get 814 lbs. It looks like your cargo capacity is about 1320 lbs (confirm inside the driver door, there's a sticker that'll confirm), meaning you have about 500 lbs of capacity for people and other gear/cargo. That number inside the door can vary based on vehicle options, so it's really important to see what cargo carrying capacity you get for your specific model. From what I've learned, it's easy to focus on the trailer capacity, but it seems to secretly be the cargo capacity that gets people.

I have snap-on mirrors that extend my side view vision of my truck. I love that I can easily pop them off when I'm not towing. Your camper is probably equipped with the Furrion backup camera bracket. The camera is really not that expensive, but it's a proprietary system, and you have to get their wireless display. You can't sync it to the built-in screen that your tow vehicle came with. My wife and I decided it was worth the money to invest in the backup camera (and eventually the side cameras too), as much for safety and peace of mind as it was for the health of our marriage while parking the camper.

On the generator; I recently saw a YouTube video of a guy who tested a Harbor Freight model (apparently HF was getting sued by Honda for steeling parts of their design). It was dramatically cheaper than a Honda, and his review was that he was impressed. Just a thought...

On the solar panel question, I guess the question is what you're hoping to accomplish. I purchased a 100 Watt panel to trickle charge my battery when it's in storage, but that system alone wouldn't keep my camper operational while boondocking for very long. There's a whole section of this forum on Solar, and certainly more knowledgeable people that will help you navigate this highly technical area.

On driving to Chicago in Nov/Dec. Weather is a huge consideration. Not just snow, but ice and wind too! You have a large load on a vehicle that is near max capacity. Your car probably has anti-lock brakes, your trailer will have electric brakes that probably do not have anti-lock capability. I'd use a lot of precaution, try to have some flexibility in your schedule so you can travel in the most ideal weather days--even if you had to extend your trip just for weather. Oh, and if you're using the rig in winter, you'll need to make sure you have a heated hose for your water supply.

On other gear you need. There's dozens of YouTube videos out there these days, probably too many. But there are some good ones. I like Keep Your Daydream (they have Grand Design rigs in some of their 'seasons' and do a great job sharing/inspiring with their videos). Changing Lanes is good too (they have a GD Momentum). Theirs are more technical with some good humor, but probably not as much of a "story" like KYD. Both of those also have Amazon lists of things they recommend (although they get a small portion back from Amazon, too). I made my own. In fact, I made 2. One for things we couldn't live without (see my introductory post with comments about the sewer hose) and the other list had 'important' things, but things that we didn't necessarily have to have on Day 1. I've already acquired most of all of it, and will soon be inventorying it so I know what's in the camper (and hopefully not leave anything at home). When I get that done (today or tomorrow), I could share that list here.

Good luck; and welcome to the Forum.
      2021 Imagine 2970RL
      2021 F-250 (7.3L Godzilla V8)

Comment

Originally posted by Chipmaker View Post
        Hi,

Thank you, Steve
        Welcome to the forum! My only suggestion is, if you are going to use your LC for the purpose you stated, to take another very close look at the numbers and make SURE that you have plenty of ‘wiggle room’, make SURE that you are not barley under the maximums in each area or you may not have an enjoyable trip. I can’t remember the last time I saw a LC in a campsite, but they may very well be out there somewhere. Just my 2 cents. Travel Safe!
        Last edited by Schiefswret; 09-14-2020, 04:21 PM.
        Dave and Sue
        2020 GD 2250RK
        2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
        Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
        GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
        SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Originally posted by Midwest Expectations View Post
          Chipmaker

I'll let others chime in as they see fit. I'm a newb myself; I'll be picking up my Imagine TT this weekend. I've done an excessive amount of research and planning--borderline obsessive.

Even though I don't have my rig yet, I can speak to one thing I learned about towing capacities (I will be towing with a F-150), is that it's usually not the trailer towing capacity that gets you, rather the cargo carrying capacity. You mentioned a couple of generators and solar as well as the off-road capability of your TV, so I'm guessing you're not planning on staying at as many full-service RV parks, so you're probably going to have some tank contents when hauling. So I would lean a little heavier on your weight calcs.
          If you factor the full 7400 lbs * 11% as tongue weight, you get 814 lbs. It looks like your cargo capacity is about 1320 lbs (confirm inside the driver door, there's a sticker that'll confirm), meaning you have about 500 lbs of capacity for people and other gear/cargo. That number inside the door can vary based on vehicle options, so it's really important to see what cargo carrying capacity you get for your specific model. From what I've learned, it's easy to focus on the trailer capacity, but it seems to secretly be the cargo capacity that gets people.

I have snap-on mirrors that extend my side view vision of my truck. I love that I can easily pop them off when I'm not towing. Your camper is probably equipped with the Furrion backup camera bracket. The camera is really not that expensive, but it's a proprietary system, and you have to get their wireless display. You can't sync it to the built-in screen that your tow vehicle came with. My wife and I decided it was worth the money to invest in the backup camera (and eventually the side cameras too), as much for safety and peace of mind as it was for the health of our marriage while parking the camper.

On the generator; I recently saw a YouTube video of a guy who tested a Harbor Freight model (apparently HF was getting sued by Honda for steeling parts of their design). It was dramatically cheaper than a Honda, and his review was that he was impressed. Just a thought...

On the solar panel question, I guess the question is what you're hoping to accomplish. I purchased a 100 Watt panel to trickle charge my battery when it's in storage, but that system alone wouldn't keep my camper operational while boondocking for very long. There's a whole section of this forum on Solar, and certainly more knowledgeable people that will help you navigate this highly technical area.

On driving to Chicago in Nov/Dec. Weather is a huge consideration. Not just snow, but ice and wind too! You have a large load on a vehicle that is near max capacity. Your car probably has anti-lock brakes, your trailer will have electric brakes that probably do not have anti-lock capability. I'd use a lot of precaution, try to have some flexibility in your schedule so you can travel in the most ideal weather days--even if you had to extend your trip just for weather. Oh, and if you're using the rig in winter, you'll need to make sure you have a heated hose for your water supply.

On other gear you need. There's dozens of YouTube videos out there these days, probably too many. But there are some good ones. I like Keep Your Daydream (they have Grand Design rigs in some of their 'seasons' and do a great job sharing/inspiring with their videos). Changing Lanes is good too (they have a GD Momentum). Theirs are more technical with some good humor, but probably not as much of a "story" like KYD. Both of those also have Amazon lists of things they recommend (although they get a small portion back from Amazon, too). I made my own. In fact, I made 2. One for things we couldn't live without (see my introductory post with comments about the sewer hose) and the other list had 'important' things, but things that we didn't necessarily have to have on Day 1. I've already acquired most of all of it, and will soon be inventorying it so I know what's in the camper (and hopefully not leave anything at home). When I get that done (today or tomorrow), I could share that list here.

Good luck; and welcome to the Forum.
          My 2017 Imagine 2600RB with full water has a 940lb tongue weight when loaded for a trip. 1200 lb bars would be best for this rig.

Jim

Comment

I do think 11% calculation for the tongue weight is probably a bit light. I would count on more in the 12%-14% range.
            Charles and Susan
            2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
            Andersen Hitch
            2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Working...
            X