The newest “newbie”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The newest “newbie”

Hello, name is Ron, going by Desert Ron on this forum. I’ve been reading different posts including the welcome to forum letter. What brought me to this forum was researching solar hookups on my new 22 MLE. I’ll get more into that another day but for now will just introduce myself.

My wife, Lynn and I have been retired a few years now and used to spend a few weeks a year in Mexico but when the Covid-19 pandemic hit, like so many others, we quit traveling. After 6 months of cooped up we decided to buy a travel trailer so last August we bought a 22’ Forest River Rockwood Mini Lite, which we liked very much. At that time I was towing with a Toyota Tacoma and felt the smaller trailer was best. We initially wanted a Grand Design 17 MKE but I was afraid the extra weight was too much. Fast forward 8 months…….we have been on six trips with our Forest River. The first 5 trips were 4 or less nights. Trip number 6 was a 2 1/2 day drive to Galveston Island, TX for 7 nights then 1 1/2 day drive coming home (I was in a hurry to get home) and after spending 10 nights in the trailer, we knew we needed larger and since I upgraded my truck a few months ago, I can tow more weight so we went with the 22 MLE to have separate seating and dining options. We haven’t used it yet but will be taking it out for a 3 night trip just after the 4th of July. We’ve gotten it all outfitted and ready. All I need to do is install the rear view camera before we go. My plan is to eventually install solar at least for temporary boondocking such as we had to do on the way to Galveston and I found the post about installing solar so I will most likely be asking questions in that post.

That’s it for now. Thanks for reading.

Ron & Lynn
    2021 GD Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Off Road

Welcome to the forum Ron and Lynn. We'll be looking forward to your solar install.

Jim
    "Another desert guy"

Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Welcome Desert Ron, we were in the same situation, we realized we needed (wanted) more room so when the market was right we sold the Heartland, luckily without losing anything. Congrats on the new rig.
      Michael & Lisa & Mako the Dutch Shepherd
      Southeast Valley, AZ

Current - 2021 GD Transcend Xplor 245RL
      Former - 2018 Heartland Sundance 221RB

Current - 2020 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax 6.6L SLT
      Former - 2010 Toyota Tundra DC TRD Rock Warrior 5.7 4x4 Tow Package (10,300)

Comment

Welcome Ron. Our first TT was a Bullet Premiere 22. Got tired of the combined U-Dinette which allowed for one uncomfortable person to watch TV and since I also use it for hunting, 5 years later bought the 1st 5er, and at 24 months got tired of the uphill battle with issue after issue got the new one. Upped to a 33' class 5er and I'm still same OAL. Much more comfort for everything including Hunting.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Desert Ron Welcome to the Family and the forum!
          Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
          Nash County, NC
          2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Working...
          X