Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello!

Hello from FL!

We recently purchased a 2021 Transcend Xplor 265BH. We've previously owned a 2019 Heartland Pioneer BH260 and a 2008 Rockwood Roo. Let me start with this - the difference between the Pioneer and the Transcend in craftsmanship is abundantly clear. Grand Design appears to care about what they do and their finished product. We are very pleased. The layout is why we purchased the unit, it is very well thought through and very comfortable.

So, here comes my gripe.... exterior lights. There is no awning light. Seriously? It's a power awning! I don't know if this is by design or if this particular build didn't get one because of the dreaded COVID19 shortages. The shoddy Pioneer had an awning light (and groovy blue underlighting). It could not have cost GD more than $15 for a LED strip and a switch; and for a $30K unit, it needs to be on there. I did not take notice of this until our first camping trip (of course) where I sat in the dark contemplating our bad purchasing decision. That's how obnoxious the exterior light is, you'd rather sit in the dark and be sad than turn it on. It's like a like a tiny police helicopter is hovering under your awning. Brightness isn't really the issue, so a dimmer would not help. It's a poorly designed and placed light. My hubby, bless his heart, thinks this is an easy fix by hanging lights on the awning like we did in the back in the old days. The reason I don't continue to own the Roo (which I loved dearly) is because of the time it took to set up and tear down camp. My expectation is to be set up and torn down in minutes - not hours.

Without drilling holes into the side or underbelly of the camper and voiding a warranty, is there a way to add LED lights to the awning? Or any other lighting solution to replace the idiotic light that's there? I am hoping I can find the answer here because the dealerships around here are inept.

Thanks!.
    Amanda

My wife and I purchased the same exact model about 3 months ago. It's our very first trailer....ever! We have never camped before so we are as new as anyone can be. So Amanda, back to your concern....you make a very good point. We purchased a string of LED lights that plug into a USB port or a chargeable battery pack that was included. We use clothes line clips to hang it on our awning at night. We usually leave it clipped onto the awning and then turn it on at night. The only problem is if it's windy then we have to unclip it to take it down and retract the awning, which is a pain to constantly do. But we have never camped before so what the heck do we know! We are used to suffering so I guess it makes no difference to us. However you are right that it wouldn't have taken much for Grand Design to put on LED lights

Comment

manders Kram

Welcome to our owners technical forum. When you have a chance, have a look at our welcome post. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members . This will help you set up your signature and navigate the forum.

Amanda: You are posting on a forum of owners just like yourself. While we acknowledge how annoyed you are with the exterior lighting on your Transcend, there is not much that we can do about the factory decision to use the lighting that they chose. However . . . we are a group that comes up with a lot of modification ideas and work-arounds. I would be inclined to look at changing the exterior light fixture that is already wired for 12V with a switch. I am not familiar with this detail of the Transcend, but I assume that this light is on the exterior wall. If you can post a picture, we might be able to come up with some alternative light fixture or light strip ideas.

​​​​​​​Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

manders Kram Welcome to the family and the forum!
        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
        Nash County, NC
        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Working...
        X