Shopping for 23BHE, 22MLE, or 221RB - F150 owners, need advice pls - thanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shopping for 23BHE, 22MLE, or 221RB - F150 owners, need advice pls - thanks

Hello, I am shopping to buy one of the GD models in the 6,995 GVW range, 22-28ft, and I have been round and round with calculating TWs, etc. and worrying about towing. I would like to hear from any F150 owners who tow a GD in that weight range. Your truck specs, how does it tow? I have 2018 F150 XLT 4x4 crew cab SB with 3.5 eco, Max Tow pkg, 7000 GVWR, 3.55 ratio, 2050 payload, GAWR 3450F / 3800R, GCWR of 16,100. I plan on buying the the ProPride 3P hitch as a precaution, probably overkill but I do not want any sway and just being cautious. I've towed back-hoes and tractors but never a box like a TT with an F150. Any advice would be greatly appreciated from you all who actually tow with an F150. Is my rig ok with that range of GD TTs? My calcs show it is but on the hi end of tolerance. My truck specs do not give me the 13,200 lb towing capacity due to rim size, payload, bed, 4x4, etc. As I research, my calculations show me that the tow vehicle payload rating is really the key factor that all other things hinge on since it affects TW capacity, which is a factor of the TT GVWR. thanks
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 280RS, 2022 GMC 3500 Denali crew cab 4x4 6.6L Turbo Diesel, empty wallet.

Originally posted by Bigdog3162 View Post
    Hello, I am shopping to buy one of the GD models in the 6,995 GVW range, 22-28ft, and I have been round and round with calculating TWs, etc. and worrying about towing. I would like to hear from any F150 owners who tow a GD in that weight range. Your truck specs, how does it tow? I have 2018 F150 XLT 4x4 crew cab SB with 3.5 eco, Max Tow pkg, 7000 GVWR, 3.55 ratio, 2050 payload, GAWR 3450F / 3800R, GCWR of 16,100. I plan on buying the the ProPride 3P hitch as a precaution, probably overkill but I do not want any sway and just being cautious. I've towed back-hoes and tractors but never a box like a TT with an F150. Any advice would be greatly appreciated from you all who actually tow with an F150. Is my rig ok with that range of GD TTs? My calcs show it is but on the hi end of tolerance. My truck specs do not give me the 13,200 lb towing capacity due to rim size, payload, bed, 4x4, etc. As I research, my calculations show me that the tow vehicle payload rating is really the key factor that all other things hinge on since it affects TW capacity, which is a factor of the TT GVWR. thanks
    Payload will definitely be your limiting factor. My father in law pulls another brand travel trailer in that range, it's about 30'@7k pounds with a similarly equipped F150. He's had no peppermint following is on our travels together, over the Rockies and out west and back. You'll need to account for what's in your bed and truck and deduct that from your payload (account for the weight of the hitch too) and what you have left is what's available for tongue weight. Divide that by .15 and that should give you an idea of GVWR trailers to look at.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thank you - yes I have been adding up the expected hitch weight, TW, fuel weight, occupants, to derive my cargo weight allowance. ProPride is 195lbs (!) This is our first TT and RV experience so I appreciate the advice!
      tks
      2022 Reflection 150 Series 280RS, 2022 GMC 3500 Denali crew cab 4x4 6.6L Turbo Diesel, empty wallet.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog3162 View Post
        Thank you - yes I have been adding up the expected hitch weight, TW, fuel weight, occupants, to derive my cargo weight allowance. ProPride is 195lbs (!) This is our first TT and RV experience so I appreciate the advice!
        tks
        Yeah it's heavy, but I don't fault you that decision especially if you end up on the longer end of what you're looking at. My FIL just has an Andersen weight distribution hitch and he's commented a couple times about cross winds I don't even feel with the fifth wheel, I think a Hensly or Propride would help with that.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Also remember that if the hitch is stiffer and there is cross winds against the trailer it may push the truck a little if the truck is not heavy, if that makes sense. The propride is a heavy hitch and stiffens the connection between the truck and trailer so anything the trailer reacts to will be transferred to the truck more quickly. On our previous TT I used a Reese straight line hitch, old style, and the TT was 34' I did get some sway in certain conditions but there was not much transferred to the truck.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
          X