Slam Latches replacement options for external compartments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slam Latches replacement options for external compartments

Hello All - full timer in a 2021 Momentum 397TH.... my forward compartment slam hatches have both gone bad. The metal mechanism on the inside has seized and one has broken. I've rebuilt them but they keep failing (we live in a salty envrionment).

Any suggestions on a reliable hatch handle and lock that will fit in the space? I'm not thrilled to drop decent $ on the same latch that will likely fall apart after 2 years. Family of 6 with super high usage of the handles.

Thanks

ETrailer has slam latches and I think RV locks & more. You may get the same quality but I am not sure.

Search results for "slam latch" (rvlocksandmore.com)

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I guess you could remove the spring latch from it and install some cam locks near the ends of the door. https://www.rvlocksandmore.com/7-8-Cam-Lock-Thumb-Turn drill a small hole in the barrel and apply a marine grade grease, if you are brave and have skills, you may try pulling the cylinder and using a marine grease. This could be a yearly or less maintenance item for you with the salty environment.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by gplembo View Post
        Hello All - full timer in a 2021 Momentum 397TH.... my forward compartment slam hatches have both gone bad. The metal mechanism on the inside has seized and one has broken. I've rebuilt them but they keep failing (we live in a salty envrionment).

Any suggestions on a reliable hatch handle and lock that will fit in the space? I'm not thrilled to drop decent $ on the same latch that will likely fall apart after 2 years. Family of 6 with super high usage of the handles.

Thanks
        Stainless Steel versions do exist - also check marine supply places. I believe Airstream uses the SS ones but could be wrong. Also some truck utility box builders seem to have tougher ones. Good luck on your search.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
        X