Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Convert 3150BH Imagine bunkhouse into office?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert 3150BH Imagine bunkhouse into office?

Hi. I'm considering the purchase of a 2017 3150BH and want to determine the feasibility of converting the bunkhouse into a full office. I realize I can't really do much modification to the bunk side since it also houses the outdoor kitchen. The slide has the sofa and flip-up bunk which could possibly be removed.

Anyway, anyone here done this? I'd love to see some pictures of your office conversion.

JimBobBailey -- the only modification that's even close that I can find here is a converted outside kitchen to a storage nook. That may be of interest: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...utdoor-kitchen

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by JimBobBailey View Post
      Hi. I'm considering the purchase of a 2017 3150BH and want to determine the feasibility of converting the bunkhouse into a full office. I realize I can't really do much modification to the bunk side since it also houses the outdoor kitchen. The slide has the sofa and flip-up bunk which could possibly be removed.

Anyway, anyone here done this? I'd love to see some pictures of your office conversion.
      Here's a bunkhouse conversion on a class A. But it's the same concept I would think....https://youtu.be/nsEyS1e0wbE

another one https://youtu.be/IcNW2Eq2wAc

Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Perfect. That's enough to give me an idea. Thanks

Comment

I think it would be doable. Just keep the office equipment weight close to the weight of the bunk/sofa you remove. Power outlets may be an issue as well as phone and eithernet wiring, but that can be done through the belly following existing wiring paths. Good luck and if you do the project, please post pictures.
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Absolutely. I considered myself a fairly high level shadetree mechanic so making it happen shouldn't be an issue plus I'm super cognizant of the trailer balance and tongue weight. First question I asked myself was how much the sofa and bunk was going to weigh ๐Ÿ˜‚

Comment

Absolutely. I considered myself a fairly high level shadetree mechanic so making it happen shouldn't be an issue plus I'm super cognizant of the trailer balance and tongue weight. First question I asked myself was how much the sofa and bunk was going to weigh ๐Ÿ˜‚
              You probably know this, but when you choose your office furniture pay attention to the construction - most are particleboard and you know how long that will last with the trailer movement. Also be thinking about how to secure your chair and other equipment fro travel. Maybe some of the boat stuff might work. I learned about securing a chair the hard way
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Anything at the rear of the trailer should be secured as if you are expecting an earthquake.

I have some of the sliders to protect the floor, I can say first had that somehow they found their way to behind the sofa at the rear. I don't know how but I have been on much rougher roads since and they have not moved, so there is no rhyme or reason as to why things move.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

I went a little different direction with the home office concept - will try to post some pictures later as it's pretty messy from a hectic week.
                  Didn't want to modify the factory stuff too much so pulled the back cushions from the hide-a-bed couch and stored them on the top bunk, grabbed a decent hollow core door from the local Habitat Store and trimmed it down to fit across the couch arm with just a little bit of clearance at the walls where I have some poster board to keep the edges from chafing the wall finish. Wrapped the door in a simple white vinyl tablecloth and used a plastic storage tub on the seat area of the couch to support the middle of the door.
                  Have 2ea 32" monitors, MS Surface, room for a full size keyboard and it's been working pretty well on this trip. Hardest part was finding a smaller size office chair that was comfortable. Was a bit dim around the work area so installed a run of LED strip lights and overall it's been working pretty nicely.
                  As for securing, I've made a few trips now and all I've done is put down the expanded non-slip mesh like they make for cabinets and lay the monitors face down on the door with the mesh and they haven't moved around at all. Chair mat slips underneath the couch when traveling or not in use. Chair stows over the outdoor kitchen.
                  It's not a perfect home office, but overall it's been workable and better than other things I've tried.
                  Chris
                  2019 Solitude 3740BH
                  2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW

Comment

Working...
                  X