Issue with floor in 2020 315RLTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue with floor in 2020 315RLTS

When our camper was around 18 months old, we began having an issue with our floor in the area in front of the curved wall, as it would squeak when we walked across it. We took it to our dealer and they checked it and said it was never attached to the wall. We asked if that would fall under our 3-year structural warranty and were told that they contacted Grand Design and was told that it was not structural. So, their solution was to run some screws up through the floor, thus attaching the floor to the wall. This fixed the squeaking floor issue, but over time, the floor began to develop some areas that sag when stepped on (there have been no water leaks). I have talked to both a mobile tech and an RV repair shop and both told us that most likely by screwing the floor up to the wall, they had lifted the floor off the frame and our weight as we walked across it caused weak spots in the floor. It continued to get worse, so in December 2022, we took our camper back to the dealer and told them about the issue. Their response was to place a single board under the floor next to the dining room table. This resulted in the floor being lifted even further off the frame, making the sagging worse and now it actually pops when you walk across it. At this point, we are so frustrated with the entire thing that we have now scheduled an appointment with our dealer to just undo the repairs they have done thus far, to hopefully allow the floor to lay back down on the frame. So, I have two questions: (1) is this the best course of action at this point, and (2) is this something that can be repaired by an RV shop or is this something that will require a trip back to the factory? Thanks!

gjester515 -- I have a 315RLTS, but can't quite picture the area being referenced. Only "curved wall" I can think of is the wall between the hutch and bathroom, but somehow I don't think that's the point you are referencing. What's even more strange is our floor is a composite structure (similar to how the exterior walls are constructed), so again I'm having difficulty visualizing what's going on. Can you be a bit more descriptive using the floorplan diagram below?

Short answer to your question: I'd go back to the factory service center if that's an option. They know your 315RLTS the best and will have all the resources required.

Click image for larger version  Name:	315RLTS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	147.6 KB ID:	109564
    Last edited by howson; 04-04-2023, 10:18 AM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson That is exactly the curved wall I am referring to, the one between the bathroom door and the hutch. I am not exactly sure what a composite floor structure is in a camper. But the dealer told me that the floor was never connected to that curved wall, thus the squeaking noise. When you walk across that area, the floor basically sinks under your foot. Think of what a floor feels like when there has been water damage and it creates a soft spot; it's similar to that feeling under your foot, but there have been no leaks in our camper and I am 100% sure of that. If I am just viewing the floor from my theatre seating, it looks perfectly normal. But, when I walk across it, it dips as I step on it, in the area between the dinette and that curved wall, and maybe even slightly in front of the hutch area. The dealer said they just screwed the floor up to that curved wall during the first repair, and during the second repair, they just placed a board under the floor in front of the dining table. Like you can feel the board and see where the floor is slightly raised where they placed it, and the floor now pops when you walk across that area, like it's in some sort of strain. It is pretty much impossible to capture it in pictures or video. I am thinking it needs to go back to the factory, but I'm not sure how to get that started as an option. I did send an email to customerservice@granddesignrv.com on 3/29 but have not heard back from them yet. Thought I would try this forum since we are scheduled to take the camper to the dealer on Saturday. Thanks

Comment

gjester515

Sorry, I don't have any pictures of how the floor is put together and I couldn't find anything online. I'd be very curious to know what the response is, though, from GD when you hear from them.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

gjester515, the floor should be supporting the interior wall, not the other way around. The floor should be supported on the trailer frame; the two main beams running front to back and then cross beams, trusses, or purlins running side to side; with the top of the frame being at the same level. There may be some variation in the spacing of the cross beams to accommodate holding tanks and other features, but the cross beams should not be spaced so far apart that the floor sags as you describe. You can get a copy of your trailer frame layout from GD, will need your VIN and agree not to share or post the drawing, or your dealer may already have access to the drawing, so that you or your dealer can confirm that the framing is correct.
          John
          2018 Momentum 395M
          2018 Ram 3500 Dually
          Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the floor of a Reflection TT is constructed like the walls of most RVs. An aluminum frame with rigid foam in the open spaces with the floor surface plywood or OSB bonded (glued) to the top surface. The attached picture can be found in the construction details section of the Grand Design website.

I do not know if there are any mechanical fasteners between the wood flooring and the aluminum structure underneath. A call to Grand Design should be able to confirm this one way or the other. As also mentioned earlier, if you provide your VIN and agree to comply with publication restrictions, they will likely provide you with a floor structure drawing that will help to locate the aluminum cross members under the floor surface. Note that when manufacturing intends to fasten to an aluminum tube, they fill it with wood to retain the fasteners. This will be shown on the drawing. The aluminum square tube is very thin walled and difficult to securely fasten to if it is not filled.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	Reflection TT Floor.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	109594
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
            X