Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bilge Pump Heater and tempature

Hi All:

I am thinking of adding a small 700W Bilge pump Heater to behind the wall on my Reflections 150 RK226. my question is this how much space should I have between the unit and other things? I want to make sure there is a limited risk of a fire in the basement. I have built a shelf so the unit is not right on the floor and it should have good airflow. My concern is the Electrical wires in that compartment. I have added a wire loom to some of the cables that are even close to the unit as a protective measure. I do not know how warm these units tend to get when they run as far as their airflow. I think that if this was an actual space heater 700 watts can really kick out some heat. obviously only runs when shore power or a generator is just a precaution really as we don't do winter camping
    2022 Grand Design Reflections 150 226RK GMC 3500 HD Turbo.

Ccreed

Shouldn't the bilge pump's installation specifications answer the question of a required air gap around the device? Then it's a matter of physically checking the location in the camper to see if it will work.

What I've done in the past with questions of this nature is mock up a plywood example with the proposed device's dimensions and then test-fitted in the targeted space.

Please follow up and let us know how it goes. (Pictures would be great along with the lessons-learned.)

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Ccreed What is the intended purpose of the heater you are considering? The underbelly is likely to get much colder than the pass through storage area. Is this a strategy to avoid winterizing the water system or to avoid running the furnace? I do have an electric heater in the underbelly of my similar Reflection 303RLS. See post 26 of this thread. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...derbelly/page2

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        Ccreed What is the intended purpose of the heater you are considering? The underbelly is likely to get much colder than the pass through storage area. Is this a strategy to avoid winterizing the water system or to avoid running the furnace? I do have an electric heater in the underbelly of my similar Reflection 303RLS. See post 26 of this thread. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...derbelly/page2

Rob
        Cate&Rob

The intention is just to keep things from freezing if camping in the winter. and just attempt to keep the underbelly warm in the event the heat is not on just like the thought of added freeze protection on the waterlines especially when sleeping as the wife and I like it colder when we sleep.
        2022 Grand Design Reflections 150 226RK GMC 3500 HD Turbo.

Comment

Ccreed

The area behind the aft wall of the pass through storage area is essentially part of the living area and not likely to go below freezing if the living area is anywhere near comfortable. Say 50F+. The underbelly is a different story. If you are not running the propane furnace (which has ductwork to the underbelly) there is a good chance that this lower area, which is below the floor insulation, can drop below freezing. There are reports of this happening to those using the electric fireplace and electric space heaters rather than the furnace. This is why I installed an electric heater in the underbelly as described in the thread linked to post 3.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
          X