Soft spot on floor of main living area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soft spot on floor of main living area

We lived in our camper for two months this winter in South Texas. We didn't notice it at the beginning, but a few weeks into the trip we noticed a "soft spot" developed in the middle of the main living area. When we step on it, it noticeably gives a little. Any ideas as to what could cause this? If I need to check into this further, what should I look for? There are no obvious signs of water.

I would appreciate any suggestions.
    thanks,
    Dave
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
    B&W Patriot 18k slider

Two thoughts come to mind. The first is that floor is pulling away from the supports (buckling or bowing). If you're hearing squeaks or seeing little bumps under the vinyl then this is a pretty good possibility.

The second thought is the one that you mentioned, water damage. I would start with pushing against the bottom of the coplastic in the area of leak and see if it feels heavier than other places.

Either way you are probably going to end up dropping the coplastic and pulling out the insulation to resolve the problem. Good luck
    John
    2018 Momentum 395M
    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
      Two thoughts come to mind. The first is that floor is pulling away from the supports (buckling or bowing). If you're hearing squeaks or seeing little bumps under the vinyl then this is a pretty good possibility.

The second thought is the one that you mentioned, water damage. I would start with pushing against the bottom of the coplastic in the area of leak and see if it feels heavier than other places.

Either way you are probably going to end up dropping the coplastic and pulling out the insulation to resolve the problem. Good luck
      No buckling or bowing, and no squeaks. No sign of water accumulating below. When it warms up I plan to drop the coroplast and see what I find. From what I've seen from other posts, even if I don't find a leak, there are a lot of other things that can be done under there. Could become quite a project.

thanks,
      Dave
      2016 Reflection 27RL
      2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
      B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Dave27

Your "problem area" may be above the spare tire mounted underneath , if yours is similar to mine. This may give you a spot to check and see what is going on. Drop the spare tire and you may get a look at the underneath with out dropping the coroplast. Hopefully there is just a support that is giving you trouble and no water leaks.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Dave27
          Hi Dave,

I wonder if this has really changed . . . or have you just become more sensitive to this area? Have you added a coffee table perhaps? Our floor is "flexible" all over. We just get used to the island moving when someone walks around it . We added a coffee table and noticed that it wobbles. It just makes the original floor flex more "visible". There is not a source for water damage in the middle of the main living area. I doubt that this is water damage.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob Country Campers
            I agree, I doubt it is water. It could be we just noticed it more. However, the flex is different there than other parts of the floor. I like the idea of looking up through were the spare hangs. That is much easier access. thanks for the suggestion.
            Dave
            2016 Reflection 27RL
            2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
            B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Working...
            X