Hutch Drawers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hutch Drawers

Upon returning from our recent trip I we noticed the drawers in our hutch were crooked. Today I removed the drawers to find this.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Inked20190716_175612_LI.jpg
Views:	890
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	2035Click image for larger version

Name:	Inked20190716_175601_LI.jpg
Views:	768
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	2037
    The support at the back for the drawer guides had pulled the staples out from the top , as seen in the circle. Not sure why there are only staples in the middle.
    So on to the repair part. I removed the screws from the front sides of the guides to allow some movement of the assembly to remove the staples. Only getting enough room to cut the staples off with a pair of side cutters. After pre-drilling three holes for screws , one in middle , one at each end , as close to the uprights as i could get. I centered the assembly and installed 1-1/4 drywall screws up into the upper part attached to the counter top where the staples were suppose to be attached. This allowed a much better attachment point and hopefully hold a little more weight than a few tea towels.
    At the bottom of the upright supports i noticed that they were cut way short of the floor , as seen in this picture.

Name:	Inked20190716_180934_LI.jpg
Views:	750
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	2036
    If these two boards were cut to a proper lenght that would sit on the floor then the staples would not have much work to do, I guess this may be for weight reduction. If this fix lasts a while i may leave it, or tear it all apart a fix it properly.
    Just one more thing to check if you have this type of hutch in your RV.

Name:	hutch.jpg
Views:	734
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	2038
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Good info Brian. I had a drawer slide fall apart and I had to order a new one. I got the new one in and went to install it only to find out that the end of the slide ( the 90 degree ) bent piece would not fit in the piece that is stapled in. I had to order a new mounting plate . I was told that the one in there was discontinued. I saved the slide from the other side so when another one goes I won't have to go through the hassle.

Comment

I'm baffled over and over how anyone could believe/decide that staples have any place in an RV that rocks and rolls down the road. What are they thinking, smoking, and drinking?
      2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
      Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
      2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
      18k B&W Companion, non-slider
      640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
      Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
      Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post
        I'm baffled over and over how anyone could believe/decide that staples have any place in an RV that rocks and rolls down the road. What are they thinking, smoking, and drinking?
        My thoughts exactly. After having several of my backing plates come loose, even with 287 staples (kidding) in them, I just pulled out each drawer and ran a screw through the holes. Now, they'll never move.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

My thoughts exactly. After having several of my backing plates come loose, even with 287 staples (kidding) in them, I just pulled out each drawer and ran a screw through the holes. Now, they'll never move.

Jim
          Not a drawer slide comment . . . but, had to laugh at the “staple” comment. When we re-upholstered our dining table chairs, we couldn’t believe the number of staples holding the original fabric . . . so we counted them (on the first chair). Almost 300 on one chair. Less than 1/8” apart all the way around. I guess their staple guns have an “auto fire” setting!

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Not to defend Grand Design but everything is put together these days with brads or staples. Look at even high end cabinetry for houses and you will find the framework put together with staples and brads. It's all about cutting down on manufacturing time.
            2019 F250 Lariat
            2020 Solitude S Series 2930RL

Comment

But you don't bounce a house down the road at 60 mph.
              2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
              Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
              2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
              18k B&W Companion, non-slider
              640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
              Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
              Somerset, WI

Comment

Staples have there place, but not installed vertically from the bottom up as shown in my picture above. This allows the "bouncing" traveling house to come apart. Staples increase productivity but decrease quality. If you have this style hutch or any drawers , all of us do , check out the mounting and if you can do a little preventative fixin so when you get where you are going your stuff should be where you put it.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Here was one of my backing plates. LOL.
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...