Junk screw on cabinet hinge - maybe check your own

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junk screw on cabinet hinge - maybe check your own

After driving from Mississippi to Ontario in early March - highway all the way - we found that a major piece of interior trim had detached itself (already reported that elsewhere here).

I didn't report at the time that one of the cabinet doors at the rear of the trailer was also slightly open and sagging inches out of position. The upper hinge was pulled out of the frame so the door was held up only by its lower hinge. It had obviously bounced around and damaged the cabinetry, but it was still hanging on by that lower hinge.

The door has a large glass insert - pretty heavy. I guessed that it popped open and the screw holding the upper hinge to the frame - there's only one - had pulled out of the cheap wood. However on finally looking at it today I found the top 3/16" of that screw lying on the cabinet floor. It just snapped off! Pure junk!

I have to replace the bent odd-ball lower hinge - two big hardware stores so far didn't carry it. I also have to remove most of the broken screw embedded in the frame (how?) so I can install another one, and I'm thinking I SHOULD replace all of the hinge screws in the cabinet doors before another one decides to just pop off. I'm inclined to replace them with real steel screws that won't snap off just because the trailer is moving down the road.

Any advice appreciated.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

That's not a very good story to tell.
    Instead of trying to remove the broken screw part could you move the hinge placement? I believe that the hinges are mounted inside " hidden hinge style" so any hinge with a close color match should work. The broken screw goes along with many that have been reported outside , and some inside. Too much torque on the battery drill will do that.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      That's not a very good story to tell.
      Instead of trying to remove the broken screw part could you move the hinge placement? I believe that the hinges are mounted inside " hidden hinge style" so any hinge with a close color match should work. The broken screw goes along with many that have been reported outside , and some inside. Too much torque on the battery drill will do that. Brian
      Thanks Brian but the hinge sits in a large oval pocket on the door, tightly sized to hold the hinge in position. I no longer have a router, and don't relish chiseling out the side of that pocket to let me move the hinge a bit but maybe that's what I have to do. I guess you're suggesting that would be easier than trying to extract the screw?

Is it your opinion that replacing the other screws would be going overboard? That this was one badly-installed screw rather than a batch of junk screws?

Thanks.
      Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Originally posted by boyscout View Post
        After driving from Mississippi to Ontario in early March - highway all the way - we found that a major piece of interior trim had detached itself (already reported that elsewhere here).

I didn't report at the time that one of the cabinet doors at the rear of the trailer was also slightly open and sagging inches out of position. The upper hinge was pulled out of the frame so the door was held up only by its lower hinge. It had obviously bounced around and damaged the cabinetry, but it was still hanging on by that lower hinge.

The door has a large glass insert - pretty heavy. I guessed that it popped open and the screw holding the upper hinge to the frame - there's only one - had pulled out of the cheap wood. However on finally looking at it today I found the top 3/16" of that screw lying on the cabinet floor. It just snapped off! Pure junk!

I have to replace the bent odd-ball lower hinge - two big hardware stores so far didn't carry it. I also have to remove most of the broken screw embedded in the frame (how?) so I can install another one, and I'm thinking I SHOULD replace all of the hinge screws in the cabinet doors before another one decides to just pop off. I'm inclined to replace them with real steel screws that won't snap off just because the trailer is moving down the road.

Any advice appreciated.
        There are hollow screw removal drill bits. Tricky to use - go slow. They remove the old screw in a plug that you replace. Then drill a new hole for the screw. Or using a regular drill bit drill right beside the old screw (use a steel cutting bit) and gently pry out the old screw. Fill the hole with wood scrap. Matching hardware should be available through GD. I would give GD customer service a call and see if they can help you out.

Hope this helps
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by boyscout View Post

Thanks Brian but the hinge sits in a large oval pocket on the door, tightly sized to hold the hinge in position. I no longer have a router, and don't relish chiseling out the side of that pocket to let me move the hinge a bit but maybe that's what I have to do. I guess you're suggesting that would be easier than trying to extract the screw?

Is it your opinion that replacing the other screws would be going overboard? That this was one badly-installed screw rather than a batch of junk screws?

Thanks.
          I won't say that there is not a bad batch of screws but will say if they are over tightened they may be compromised. A check with a screw driver you may find some loose and some too tight. Removing the broken screw may be your best bet. I did not realize that the hinges were in a pocket. Some good tips from Yoda above. You may also be able to get a good hold on the screw with a pair of pointy nose pliers. Going to be a little tricky but should be doable.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Yoda Keith,

Like many of the screws in my rig that were no doubt sourced from the far east, many are stripped. Sad how these rigs are thrown together. In this case a pocket drill with a wood block spacer may work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRzCxLumn1w

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=0&ajaxhist=0

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
              Yoda Keith,

Like many of the screws in my rig that were no doubt sourced from the far east, many are stripped. Sad how these rigs are thrown together. In this case a pocket drill with a wood block spacer may work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRzCxLumn1w

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=0&ajaxhist=0

Jim
              Jim - those are the hollow drill bits I was talking about. Never used one, but know they do work. Never thought of the wood block to keep the bit straight. Thanks for the links as I learned something.
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
              X