Pantry Roll-Out Shelves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pantry Roll-Out Shelves?

We bought a new (2021) 22MLE and love the design. My question is, has anyone figured out a nice solution to a roll-out shelf for the pantry? They are 32" deep, and kind'a tough to reach items in the back.

Before I note my observations, I'd like to say we love the trailer and glad we made the purchase - so, we are not at all disgruntled.

Other observations on the 22MLE:
    • Like others have noted, we found the oven to be pretty much useless - which is disappointing.
    • The fresh water overflow (blue tube) will dump close to 1/3 of the tank when parked on a regular street and the tires on the passenger side are about 3 inches lower than the driver side. Ouch! We found this out the hard way. I solved the problem by attaching a threaded cap to the overflow hose - but only after the tank is filled of course.
    • The fresh water fill cap has a vent next to it. Seems reasonable - until you look under the table seat (where the fill hose drops-in) and find the vent goes nowhere - and was at one time "plugged" with black silicone. This seems like an opportunity for disaster should splashing water (say, from filling the tank) find it's way in. Be sure your rig still has the silicone plug still in it! I suspect GD simply uses the same fill cap design/setup on all the trailers.
    Anyhow, these are some quick observations after our first Colorado use! Any solutions to my 32" deep pantry space would be very much appreciated!
    Last edited by howson; 01-03-2021, 01:48 PM.

Originally posted by Joe Wagner View Post
    We bought a new (2021) 22MLE and love the design. My question is, has anyone figured out a nice solution to a roll-out shelf for the pantry? They are 32" deep, and kind'a tough to reach items in the back.

Before I note my observations, I'd like to say we love the trailer and glad we made the purchase - so, we are not at all disgruntled.

• Like others have noted, we found the oven to be pretty much useless - which is disappointing.
    • The fresh water overflow (blue tube) will dump close to 1/3 of the tank when parked on a regular street and the tires on the passenger side are about 3 inches lower than the driver side. Ouch! We found this out the hard way. I solved the problem by attaching a threaded cap to the overflow hose - but only after the tank is filled of course.
    • The fresh water fill cap has a vent next to it. Seems reasonable - until you look under the table seat (where the fill hose drops-in) and find the vent goes nowhere - and was at one time "plugged" with black silicone. This seems like an opportunity for disaster should splashing water (say, from filling the tank) find it's way in. Be sure your rig still has the silicone plug still in it! I suspect GD simply uses the same fill cap design/setup on all the trailers.
    Anyhow, these are some quick observations after our first Colorado use! Any solutions to my 32" deep pantry space would be very much appreciated!
    Welcome to the Forum Joe , and congrats on the 22MLE.

For your shelves you may look at Lowes or Home Depot for a slide mechanism that is used for this application. You will need to know the width and depth that will fit your needs. Some of these will be wire or even wood. You could also get a local cabinet maker that can make this for you.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

If you do that, I’d suggest you include some kind of positive lock to keep the shelves from moving on the road. The weight of a loaded shelf moving might be enough to damage the door.
      John & Kathy
      2014 Reflection 303RLS
      2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Congratulations on your new 22mle! We bought ours in November and like you, really like the floor plan.

We have only used City Water to this point but I was curious about making sure the fresh water vent has the black silicone plug and it does upon taking the dinette seat off.

Agreed that the cabinets are long. My wife got a few clear plastic storage bins about 5”h x 5”w x 15”l and they seem to work okay although it’s not a perfect solution, it is light weight. Also added two LED motion-sensing light strips that are rechargeable via USB and held in place with magnets.

In addition to what Jkwilson mentioned above, if you go that route check if you will have enough room to open the cabinet when the slide is closed if you think that would be a concern at some point.
        2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L
        2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
        Andersen WDH
        Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
        2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
        2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Comment

I have a 2600rb with similar cabinets. Currently have a series of bins which work but are a pain in the rear. I too have been thinking about some kind of roll out shelf. Just haven't gotten around to taking measurements and wondering through Lowes. If you come up with something definitely let me know. I'll do likewise.
          Charles and Susan
          2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
          Andersen Hitch
          2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Thank you for all the replies! I was not sure what response I would get. And, thank you for the welcomes : )
            • Brian, I will look into the Lowes option and see what the opportunities are.
            • Jkwilson, great idea about the positive lock suggestion - I never gave that a second thought and think this is a must!
            • Charles/Susan, if I come up with a solution, I will post it. And yes please, let me know if you come up with a roll-out solution.

Comment

Joe, I ordered the same trailer, but won't get it for 2 months. I ewas wondering the same thing about the pantry. What is the opening size to the pantry shelves? How wide and tall.

Comment

Originally posted by Newtonian View Post
                Joe, I ordered the same trailer, but won't get it for 2 months. I ewas wondering the same thing about the pantry. What is the opening size to the pantry shelves? How wide and tall.
                Welcome to the forum, Newtonian. When you get a chance, please check out the forum welcome letter for some helpful tips: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Newtonian View Post
                  10" x 16" x 33".
                  This will let you fit something through the framed opening. Both are the same (based on industry standards).
                  Robert and Chris
                  2021 XLS 22MLE (somewhat factory stock)
                  2018 Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab

Comment

Thank you for the replies, very helpful

Comment

Solved: I built a sliding shelf and put baskets on it. This way we get the freedom of rolling it open, while at the same time the ability to remove the baskets. Other than my labor, it cost about $55 plus shipping of the parts. It is a little heavy because slides that extend the full length are quite robust, and they are mounted on 1/4" plywood, but hey it slides nice. Below are some pics and links for those interested.

Couple of notes:
                      1) Be certain to build a locking mechanism to prevent the shelf from rolling open while on the road. ** This is critical **
                      2) This length shelf does not interfere with the slide-out and although the pic does not show it, it is well above the cooktop.
                      3) For you critics: I know the slides are mounted flat versus vertical. That was my solution to not punching holes in the side of the cabinet where they could be seen under the mirror. Also, I'm putting moderate weight goodies such as a few canned goods, cereal, chips and alike in the baskets.
                      4) Although you do loose some space on the sides, you gain the space in the back! I suppose you could leave out the baskets and recover a little more space.

Click image for larger version.   Name:	20200902_095715.jpg  Views:	1  Size:	96.4 KB  ID:	29214
                      Assembly before installation into the cabinet.

Click image for larger version.   Name:	20200902_095743.jpg  Views:	1  Size:	97.7 KB  ID:	29215
                      Assembly with baskets.

Click image for larger version.   Name:	20200902_183851.jpg  Views:	2  Size:	101.6 KB  ID:	29212
                      Fully extended.

Click image for larger version.   Name:	20200902_183802.jpg  Views:	2  Size:	99.2 KB  ID:	29213
                      A look inside.

Links
                      One set of slides that extend nearly the full length - up to 59". I scrubbed the iNet and this was all I could find. They are from a surplus house with very limited supply:
                      https://skycraftsurplus.com/full-ext...xt-rp0604.html

Twin baskets that fit perfectly:
                      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope this helps!

Comment

Country Campers -- Joe Wagner 's post above may be another candidate for deletion...I hope my DW doesn't see it.

Of course I'm teasing, Joe--outstanding job and your post was well formulated and informative. Thank you!
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Joe Wagner really great upgrade. I have wanted to do something similar from day one. Thanks for the detailed post.
                          Charles and Susan
                          2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
                          Andersen Hitch
                          2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Solved: I built a sliding shelf and put baskets on it. This way we get the freedom of rolling it open, while at the same time the ability to remove the baskets. Other than my labor, it cost about $55 plus shipping of the parts. It is a little heavy because slides that extend the full length are quite robust, and they are mounted on 1/4" plywood, but hey it slides nice. Below are some pics and links for those interested.
                            Hope this helps!
                            Wow, great job! Pls advise, what type of locking mechanism did you go with to prevent opening while traveling? TY
                            Last edited by howson; 09-07-2020, 10:54 AM. Reason: Edited quote to make question easier to read.
                            Dave and Sue
                            2020 GD 2250RK
                            2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
                            Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
                            GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
                            SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

My wife yesterday asked me if I could add shelves to the wardrove in the bedroom. (Same problem, they are like 36" deep)

I might adapt what you've done here into something similar
                              Mike
                              2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Working...
                              X